Como to Lugano train timetable August 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 4:33:54 #816533

We are wanting to travel from Como to Lugano on Saturday 25th August 2018. We wish to connect with the Bernina Express Coach Bus 5950 departing at 10am for Tirano then train 974 Bernina Express Panoramic departing Tirano at 1406 arriving in St Moritz at 1620. Saturday 25 August. It appears there is a train departing at 07.48 arriving 8.18 am on Regional Express. But when I select this departure time – I don’t get any further. Only a 10am departure shows. We need confirmation that this train does operate before we book on the Bernina Express Service. Otherwise we may need to cancel accommodation in Lake Como the night previous, and book overnight Lugano or look at train via Milan to Tirano to connect with the 14.06 departure. We are holders of the 1st Class 3 Country Select Eurail Pass for Italy, Switzerland, France Thanks so much – AusCol

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 6:51:47 #887788

>> It appears there is a train departing at 07.48 arriving 8.18 am on Regional Express.

Yes, there is a train departing Como S. Giovanni for Lugano at 7:48.

>> But when I select this departure time – I don’t get any further. Only a 10am departure shows.

What website are you on? Are you trying to make a reservation? Reservations are not possible on the 7:48 train. The 10:03 departure is a EuroCity train, on which reservations are possible. That’s probably why it’s the first option coming up if what you are doing is trying to make a reservation – reservations aren’t possible on any of the other trains between the 7:48 and the 10:03.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 June 2018 at 6:52:44 #887789

There are trains from Como San Giovanni to Lugano leaving at xx:30 and xx:42 all day. The xx:42 trains are suburban trains the xx:30 are regional express (RE) trains.

You know you need reservations (not covered by Eurail pass) on the BEX bus and trains right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 7:38:39 #887790

thanks for your prompt replies. Very helpful, trying to plan this trip was doing my head in! I see we have to pay 13 Euros for the Bus seat on the BEX coach Lugano to Tirano. and 11.50 Euros from Tirano to St Moritz on BEX train.

With the train from Como which I can’t reserve a seat on ….. is it from Como S. Giovanni station? it shows as RegioExpress 25506 Como S. Giovanni Departure 07:48 Chiasso Arrival 07:52 Departure 07:55 Mendrisio 8.03 Lugano Platform 3 8.18am

We thought to take this train to give us time in Lugano to transfer to the Bernina Express Coach. Plus, if any problem, there is still the next train departure which will have us in Lugano at 9.18am.

Do we just show our Eurail Pass on the RegioExpress 25506 train when we board? Or do we need to show something at the Train ticket office in Como before boarding? We will be staying in Como for a couple of nights, but being a Saturday, I was concerned the office would not be open.

We are looking at travelling this way, as we feel it will be more scenic then returning to Milan via train, and train from Milan to Tirano to meet the Bernina express. What is your opinion on this statement?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 7:50:06 #887791

the website Im now using is http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml

I think this is the swiss rail site. When I try to use the Railplanner with Eurail it doesnt show the train times I’m looking at. The answers I receive are : Italy doesn’t put up their timetables very far in advance. So put in a date earlier to see what is available.

But thats not helpul. If I’m unable to discover if there are earlier trains to Lugano. When it only shows a train that you can reserve seats on … and that doesn’t have us arriving in Lugano before the Coach leaves.

I tried other websites … but conflicting information.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 June 2018 at 10:34:27 #887792

Hi AusCol,

The 7.48 train is a direct one to Lugano, no reservations required, fully covered by your Eurail Select Pass. Indeed not all sites show that train yet, which is common issue with Italian trains. Somehow their schedules are not always updated in time. But you can find that train through http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable as well as the site of the local train operator: http://www.trenord.it/en/time table/timetable.aspx. Various others listed on http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price may or may not show it yet. They most probably will when the date gets closer.

You can look forward to a really scenic route!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 June 2018 at 10:49:09 #887793

Sorry AusCol, I seem to have suffered a senior’s moment. The suburban trains depart xx:13 and xx:43. The RE trains depart xx:48. Fact remains you will have no problems reaching Lugano to catch the bus.

Get seats on the right hand side of the bus. The best seats are the ones right at the front so you share the death defying view the driver gets. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 11:02:49 #887794

Thanks for your following up on this. Its good to know that we will have lots of trains to choose from to travel from Como to Lugano. With the Bernina Express Coach … The question will be … can I request seats on the right hand side of the bus, at the front! I’m having terrible trouble booking for late August. I get conflicting messages as how early I can book.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 June 2018 at 11:06:07 #887795

Only place you can book specific seats is here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#cart.

It says direction of travel can’t be guaranteed but the location of the steering wheel in the seating plan is a dead giveaway. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 11:25:09 #887796

Thanks for the smile … I will try and book the coach and the Bernina Express tomorrow.. I’m waiting for a reply as to booking the Glacier Express for the 26th August. (Reserving seats 1st class using our Eurail Pass) when I tried to book on the website it said I can only book 2 months prior. But I was also given information that I can book 90 days in advance. If we cant get on the Glacier Express on the 26th August, we may have to change our plans. Therefore, I can’t book Bernina Express until I know for sure we can secure reservations on the Glacier Express. St Moritz is too expensive for us to stay more than one night at.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 June 2018 at 20:39:16 #887797

You can select and reserve seats on the Glacier Express at shop.glacierexpress.ch /. You may already be too late for 1st Class.

You can always cover Glacier route via regular trains if all else fails.

Unfortunately looks like the Bernina Bus is also booked out on 25th. 😔

Does http://www.postauto.ch/en/exc ursion-tips/palm-express hold any appeal as an alternative? Otherwise it looks like Como to Tirano via Monza is your only option.

Not sure where you’ve been getting the conflicting advice but 90 days is the norm for the major Panoramics.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 June 2018 at 0:21:23 #887798

Aaaah, I see you have another thread going here on which you are getting the best possible advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 4:14:38 #887799

Hi all – thank you so much for your great efforts in trying to assist me with bookings on both the Bernina Express and the Glacier Express. I did email the Glacier Express and received a reply saying they were having technical difficulties with their website and gave me a phone number to call “We have some technical problems on our website actually, it would be better to book by phone”. I had tried to reserve seats but the “next” button wasn’t allowing any further action.

Lucky for me I took their advice and rang. The helpful assistant was able to book the whole trip. We got the last two seats on the coach. First class seats on the Bernina Express & the Glacier Express for the dates we needed. I can give you the phone number if its helpful for anyone else having similar problem. We have a booking number and picking up our documents in Lugano. So a good end to a stressful day, hopefully not a too expensive phone bill, but I slept well!

Your team are wonderful, so willing to help. Thank you all once again.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 June 2018 at 5:08:39 #887800

Well done AusCol. Glad it all worked out for you . The number on the RHB website is Tel +41 81 288 65 65. Is that the one you used? Otherwise it might be handy to know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 5:26:13 #887801

Yes that was the number. Yes, they were very very helpful. Now I’m going to attempt Zermatt to Wengen via Kandersteg. Wengen, Interlaken, Montreux (using the Golden Pass Line, Geneve. But I’ll return to an earlier thread where Rockoyster suggested the more scenic route to Wengen from Zermatt via Kandersteg. reason .. in case someone is interested in the same journey & following that thread. Fingers crossed we can successfully obtain seats on the Golden Pass Line. Phewwwww….

Thanks so much, I wouldn’t have been able to book the journey so far without your amazing willingness to assist tourists wishing to travel in Switzerland

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 17:13:49 #887802

I had a lot of trouble trying to book Glacier Express last summer and after a exchange of emails also ended up using phone to get what I wanted! Might just use phone to start with this year if their website is playing up again. We are travelling mid September from St. Moritz to Brig so I will need to book end of next week.

Maggie

• The thread ‘Como to Lugano train timetable August 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.