Travel pass for Switzerland & Como, Sept 5-18

• Nickolyn
    Participant
    12 posts
    21 July 2019 at 4:15:44 #822961

I am sorry to be such a bother, but I am sort of in charge of a group of 8 seniors traveling this September to Switzerland for some of our “bucket lists.” We are looking to find the best value for our money.

We arrive in Zurich on Sept 5th before noon then have until 6 pm Sept 6th as free time. I am thinking a 72 hour Zurich card will suit our needs. We want to be able to do most things outside but also realize if the weather is not good, we might need to explore museums and other indoor options.

We are joining a Cosmos Train Trip from Sept 6th (6 pm) until Sept. 14. We leave Zurich for Lucerne on the 7th and the remainder of the day and night is free time so I thought maybe a Day Pass would work for that time. I see that one can have a no travel pass or a half price pass to get a Day Pass so with a Swiss Travel Pass would the Day Pass be the price of the half price or no pass or is there a different price for a STP?

On Sept 14 we leave that tour for our own explorations. We are traveling to Como, Italy by train, so would a point to point be the best way to travel that day?

Sept 16 we will travel from Como, Italy to Lucerne where we will stay until Sept 18 when we will return to Zurich. I am thinking a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass?

I thought about getting an 8 day Flex Travel Pass, but that seems to be much more expensive than these other things?

Please help, because 7 other seniors are expecting a best value and ease of travel.

Thanks,

Nickolyn

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 July 2019 at 4:27:27 #918283

Hi Nickolyn,

I see that one can have a no travel pass or a half price pass to get a Day Pass so with a Swiss Travel Pass would the Day Pass be the price of the half price or no pass or is there a different price for a STP?

If you have an STP you don’t need anything else. A Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass and bit.ly/2rkekat) would be redundant.

On Sept 14 we leave that tour for our own explorations. We are traveling to Como, Italy by train, so would a point to point be the best way to travel that day?

It depends where you are starting your trip to Como from. A Saver Day Pass may be your best option if you are travelling from afar. Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

Sept 16 we will travel from Como, Italy to Lucerne where we will stay until Sept 18 when we will return to Zurich. I am thinking a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass?

A Swiss Travel Pass is overkill to get from Luzern to Zurich – it’s only about a CHF30 fare. Unless of course you want to go for absolute convenience and don’t want to bother buying individual tickets.

Apart from travelling from Como to Luzern and Luzern to Zurich what else would you plan to use a 3-day STP for?

Nickolyn
    Participant
    12 posts
    21 July 2019 at 5:21:17 #918284

I was thinking of only getting a 3 day STP for the times we are traveling from Como to Lucerne because we also want to take a boat ride to William Tell area, go to Mt. Rigi, Pilatus, and Titlus and/or do other explorations in that area. We are not just taking a train to the locations we want to explore. Also some may be more active than others are and, of course, the weather may impact our outdoor explorations. Also on Sept 18 some may want to go to Bern for the day or some want to go to Heidiland and Lichtenstein. Others are thinking of going to the Rhineland falls.

Since the 3 day pass would be for Sept 16 to 18, we would need some way to do things in/around Lucerne on Sept 7, because we don’t think we can do all those things I previously mentioned during that later time in Lucerne.

I thought about a 4 day Flex pass instead of a 3 day pass, but that is almost $100 more. I think a day pass added to the 3 day pass would be less expensive. Or am I wrong?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 July 2019 at 5:33:44 #918285

I thought about a 4 day Flex pass instead of a 3 day pass, but that is almost $100 more. I think a day pass added to the 3 day pass would be less expensive. Or am I wrong?

You are correct. Given your varied plans in Luzern I’d go for the Swiss Travel Pass which offers the best flexibility.

I was under the impression you already have your Cosmos STP from 7th. Obviously not.

Annika
    7125 posts
    21 July 2019 at 8:16:18 #918286

Hi Nickolyn,

Just to make sure and avoid any confusion: in your previous topic you mentioned you’d be having an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass, and you wondered whether you could somehow upgrade it to a 15 day variant: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/swiss-travel-pass-and-day-passes. Do you indeed have a Swiss Travel Pass already and if so, for which start date and which duration? Are you looking for supplements to this pass, or don’t you have a pass yet and are you looking for options for all of your stay?

If you don’t have any pass yet, I’d just keep things simple and get a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. It’s by far the easiest solution. You’d need additional tickets for the Italian legs of your side trip to Como: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

• The thread ‘Travel pass for Switzerland & Como, Sept 5-18’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.