Confused about Swiss Travel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2015 at 7:17:50 #807437

Hello,

I along with my parents plan to reach Interlaken from Paris on 21st September 2015.

We plan to visit – We plan to visit: Interlaken (21st), jungfraujoch region (22nd), Lucerne (23rd), Mt. Titlis (24th) and Zurich (25th) and leave for Munich on 25th only.

Can you suggest :

• Which rail pass to buy? which can be maximum money saver for us? for 5 days (starts from Paris 21st and ends in Munich 25th) – or we should not buy any pass?
    • Will we be getting any discount from Paris to Interlaken and Zurich to Munich?
    • For our trip to Titlis and jungfraujoch – will rail pass give us any discount? basically how will be get to these places with tariff?
    • Will that rail pass be inclusive of internal city transport like trams, buses etc.
    • What all extra benefits we get due to this rail pass.
    • Also, i am in India and wanted to check, how can i buy the pass and how will get it?

Looking forward for the reply.

Thanks

Gunjan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2015 at 8:59:57 #843926

Hello Gunjan, I explored the option of buying multi country rail passes from http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes/select-pass and i find that it is not cost-effective. Also it will require additional reservation to be done, pay for night train charges, TGV charges etc. It is better to book TGV on your own seperately from Paris to Basel or Paris to Bern and then you plan to go to interlaken by Swiss trains.

Sinc e you are spending many places in Swiss, i suggest you to go for swiss pass (http://www.swiss-pass.ch/en/swiss-pass/) but there is no pass available for 5 days. You have option to take 3 day pass and half saver pass for next 2 days or take 4 day pass and half-saver pass on the other day. To arrive at a point which is pass is best cost saver, then you need to dig in more with an excel sheet to compare all options. There is a post in this forum explaings which rail pass fits your plans, please see myswissalps.com/ train/ticketspasses/ practical/chooserailpa ss.

These swiss passes does cover local bus and few boats as well. But this does not cover your full journey to Jungfrau. You need to take 50% reduction ticket to Jungfrau from Laetterberen it think.

Swiss Travel Pass points of sale can be found through myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price.

• The thread ‘Confused about Swiss Travel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.