Confused Australian ( don”t laugh)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2011 at 14:35:22 #804110

Hello, we need help. Is a Swiss rail pass best for us or a half price card?
    Our plans…in May:
    Arrive Zurich airport,then next day train to Lauterbrunnen, stay 1 night, then Murren 3 nights ( with trips to the peaks if weather is ok, by train). , then train to Basel.
    I have spent weeks trying to figure this out and am hoping you clever people can help me. Cheers 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 February 2011 at 11:23:58 #832151

Hello Sparkle! Of course we won’t laugh. Picking the right pass for your Swiss holidays can be quite confusing indeed! If your trips from Mürren are mainly within the Jungfrau Region (such as Schilthorn, Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfraujoch, Männlichen, and so on), a Swiss Half Fare Card will most probably be cheaper than one of the other Swiss rail passes. The Swiss Card and Swiss Transfer Ticket aren’t economical, as your inbound and outbound journeys are relatively short and inexpensive. Both the Swiss Pass and the Swiss Flexi Pass would prove to be quite expensive for your rather short stay, which seems to include short regional trips from Mürren. Moreover, the free travelling allowed with a Swiss (Flexi) Pass doesn’t apply to mountain transportation, so you wouldn’t really profit from such a pass when visiting peaks from Mürren. Only exact calculations would provide a definite answer, but if you don’t manage to figure it out, all you can do is make a reasonable guess.

I hope this helps you getting less confused…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2011 at 18:06:44 #832152

Thank you so much….we will do as you suggest. Would we then pay for each ticket just as we need it in cash at the time of travel? should we buy the half price card from Australia or get it when we arrive? So many questions 🙂

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 February 2011 at 12:29:49 #832153

Hi Sparkle. With a Swiss Half Fare Card, you have to purchase 50% discounted tickets for each trip. These can be bought right before boarding, from ticketing machines or ticket offices at the railway station. You can pay either in cash or, in some cases, by credit card. The Swiss Half Fare Card can be purchased online, but in your case (Swiss Half Fare Cards for Australian travellers) this is currently more expensive due to shipping rates. It can be bought at Swiss railway stations as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2011 at 21:26:03 #832154

Thank you for your help…only 88days to go…have been counting down since 455 days 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2011 at 3:18:17 #832155

hi Annika
    do you need a photo for the short term half price passes? I had to have one when I bought my year-long pass. If Sparkle needs one, then it would save time if they brought current passport size photos with them, otherwise they’ll have to use the photobooth in the station. Like most things, these are more expensive in Switzerland

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 February 2011 at 3:47:54 #832156

Hi plumbly,

No, a photo is not required. Just a passport to identify will do. Thanks for sharing your tips though!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2011 at 3:43:57 #832157

Thank you again…I just should have come to tis site first 🙂

• The thread ‘Confused Australian ( don”t laugh)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.