Cost for Golden Pass Reservations and VIP seating

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2015 at 23:55:12 #806976

A couple of questions on the cost and process of making reservations on the Golden Pass train:

Rail Europe’s US call center wants to charge $21 per passenger for each reservation whilst the Golden Pass website will apparently only charge 8 Francs. In addition, the Rail Europe site wants $33 for booking and shipping for a total of $117 for 4 seat reservations. Am I misunderstanding something here?

also, I am being told by Rail Europe that reservations cannot me made on the Interlaken to Zweisimmen journey of Golden Pass. Is that true?

and is it surprising that the VIP seats are not available already for a trip on April 20 from Zweisimmen to Montreux. Or can you only reserve VIP seats when in Switzerland?

please advise

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 March 2015 at 16:32:59 #842002

Hello CDJr,

The Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen leg can be reserved, you can see so in the timetable. In practice though, reservations for those trains are not necessary, unless you travel in a large group. The same applies to Lucerne to Interlaken Ost. Perhaps Rail Europe does not have access to these particular reservations. If you want them, I would advice to book them at any staffed rail station in Switzerland as soon as you have arrived in the country.

The VIP seats are different: only a few trains have them and there are only 8 per train. These should be booked as soon as possible. As far as I know these seats are CHF 15. The lower amount of CHF 8 applies to regular seats. Rail Europe does currently offer a 20% discount on reservations. The seats can already be booked for April 20, but if Rail Europe can’t do so, you can book with the local railway company MOB. The link is on our Golden Pass page, under “More on other websites”. The front seats in the front carriage are the VIP seats you need to book.

By the way, if you also need a rail pass, the Rail Europe shipping fee will be waived as your order will probably reach the minimum amount of $399 for free shipping.

I hope this helps you out!

• The thread ‘Cost for Golden Pass Reservations and VIP seating’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.