Cost of Gotthard Panoramic train with Half Fare

Cost of Gotthard Panoramic train with Half Fare

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
chandni177
chandni177
55 posts
Mar 16, 2018 - 4:11 AM

Hi,

1. I'm trying to find out the full cost of the Gotthard Panoramic journey for May 13 Sunday, from Lugano to Luzern. Tried looking on the sbb.ch website, taking tips from an older post from last year, but I can't find the prices. I see something about 20% off offer for 1st class, but don't see the actual price.

I see the cost of the train+boat journey as 66+40 something from sbb timetable, but not sure if I did it correctly.

2. Is the reservation cost and surcharge the same thing? Can't find a final word on that either.

Here are the sites I looked at, please feel free to point out if I plainly missed something.

www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/panoramare isen.html

www.mystsnet.com/en/pr oducts-services/swiss-travel-system/premium-panoramic-trains/gotthard-panorama-express/

Thanks once again!!

Chandni

rockoyster
rockoyster
3909 posts
expert
Mar 16, 2018 - 4:30 AM in reply to chandni177

See page 7 of this goo.gl/3gsZBg.

The "reservation surcharge" of CHF 24 only applies to the train. It is not possible to reserve seats on the boat.

You might also find this somewhat lengthy thread www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/how-to-book-a-full-fare-ticket-on-the-gotthard-exp of interest.

You can buy tickets at www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ tickets.

Last modified on Mar 16, 2018 - 4:37 AM by rockoyster
chandni177
chandni177
55 posts
Mar 16, 2018 - 4:41 AM in reply to rockoyster

Ok, just so I know I'm reading this correctly, if I have the Half Fare Card, these are my prices from Lugano TILL Luzern, correct?

CHF 75 in 1st class/CHF 46 in 2nd class

Assuming this is correct, few more questions:

1. I remember seeing a place to pay the surcharge and reserve seats - can't find it now.

2. From our current calculations, we will be going for a combination of SHFC+Bernese Oberland pass. In this case, how does the upgrade work for the Gotthard Panoramic? Just walk upto the station and get it done before boarding the train?

3. Would you recommend upgrading just the, or the boat ride as well? Are they separate?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3909 posts
expert
Mar 16, 2018 - 4:52 AM in reply to chandni177

You have the prices right. The reservation surcharge is on top of that.

1. You can reserve seats here www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/adw.do?sprache=en&artikelnumm er=1993 or via one of the retails in the earlier link I sent. You need to enter Lugano to Flüelen via Göschenen.

2. With a Swiss Half-fare Card you can buy a ticket at any Swiss station or on-line at one of the above retailers or using the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). If using SBB it is easier to buy the train and boat legs separately. There are some instructions in the long thread link I posted earlier.

3. I'm not actually sure what you mean by "upgrade" in the context of a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can go on boat or train 1st or 2nd Class. On the train 1st Class gives you more room. 1st Class on the boat gives you access to the upper deck and the dining room.

chandni177
chandni177
55 posts
Mar 16, 2018 - 5:00 AM

Ah I get it now. I was thinking about the upgrade because earlier I thought we would end up with the 2nd class STP.

I went through the long link earlier today but I've forgotten a lot of it already, as I spent the evening doing rail pass calculations! I will pause this thread for now and get back in case I have questions after reading the long post again.

Thank you again :) The website time stamp tells me it's 4:50am. I sincerely hope you are in a different time zone!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3909 posts
expert
Mar 16, 2018 - 5:27 AM in reply to chandni177

Different time zone? Nah, we just stay up until we've helped out members.

Just kidding. 🤓

You probably don't need to read the long thread. I think you have it figured out now.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018