Could not find bus to Stechelberg in Lauterbrunnen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2019 at 13:17:47 #823919

A frustrating day in Lauterbrunnen this afternoon.

I only had a short time to make the 141 bus to Stechelberg from Lauterbrunnen for cable car to Schilthorn, as alternative to back to Interlaken early wanted by my travel companion.

Absolutely no sign of any yellow buses anywhere near the station and therefore I missed the departure time so had to abandon the attempt. Came on top of dense cloud cover high up all over. So frustrating. NZ isn’t the only Land of the Long White Cloud.

Last day in Switzerland tomorrow with some sun forecast for morning but it was forecast to clear by noon today and stayed cloudy till 3PM

A day on the train to Geneva and back is a better bet, to round out visits to Zurich, Berne and Lucerne plus Ballenberg Museum and nil sightseeing of the mountains. 🙁

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    19 September 2019 at 19:10:38 #922407

Hi JoshBrown

It is a shame you had a frustrating day, but you need not have missed out on visiting the Schilthorn if you missed the bus. There are two ways to get to Murren. The bus stop for the bus to Stechelberg is right beside the railway station and close to the cable car station to Grütschalp from where you can catch the train to Murren and walk through the village to the cable car to the Schilthorn. You could have returned to Lauterbrunnen via Stechelberg. Murren, itself is well worth a visit even if you decide not to continue to the Schilthorn. The views of the Lauterbrunnen valley from Murren are stunning.

Hope you have a less frustrating day tomorrow.

Jane

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    19 September 2019 at 21:52:47 #922408

You mention that you did nil sightseeing of mountains during your stay in Switzerland even though you have stayed in Luzern and the Bernese Oberland.

If your base is Interlaken and it is sunny tomorrow I should rethink your trip to Geneva and explore more of your immediate surroundings ie Wengen and the Männlichen or Grindelwald and First or the Niederhorn or Murren and perhaps try visiting the Schilthorn again if it is clear at the top. There are often good views lower down the mountains even it is cloudy at the peak.

It seems a shame to come all the way to Switzerland from New Zealand and not visit a Swiss mountain.

Jane

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2019 at 8:53:05 #922409

All good on Friday with the cloud dissipating and with more time. Made it up to Schilthorn and walked from Murren to Grutschalp and down to Lauterbrunnen.

On Thu I ganbled that the forecast for cloud clearing by noon would happen so we took PostBus from Meiringen to Grosse Schiedegg to walk to First then gondola to Grindelwald. The bus ride ip to Schaldap (?) was good but the we were in cloud to Grosse Schiedegg and although it was sunny just up top the cloud was too thick just a few metres down. So we abandoned the First idea and just walked down the road to Grindelwald taking a lot longer and seeing nothing but the odd cow. That left time a bit short to get around to Lauterbrunnen. As it turned out I checked the webcam and it had clouded in at Scholthorn anyway.

But yesterday made up for it in spades.

Unfortunately we are leaving Switzerland today for three days hiking in the Dolomitten Mon-Wed. Fingers crossed for Ok weather.

Annika
    7103 posts
    21 September 2019 at 9:04:16 #922410

Hi JoshBrown! I’m sorry to hear about the missed bus last Thursday, and the clouds getting in the way of your original plans. Weather is a decisive factor indeed. I’m happy to hear things worked out better yesterday. The First-Grindelwald area is great for hiking indeed. Skies should be clear today again. Let’s hope you’ll have a wonderful transef to the Dolomites and splendid hiking weather there!

• The thread ‘Could not find bus to Stechelberg in Lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.