Could you break a journey with Swiss rail ticket?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 10:23:19 #814965

Hello,

i am not sure if breaking a journey is allowed on the railways, for example if you stop at an intermediary station and then re-join to complete your journey?

could someone please help if you know

thank you

Milena

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 15:43:12 #879859

Hi Milena,

Yes, that’s allowed. It doesn’t apply however to the Supersaver tickets. These tickets can only be purchased for a specific date and specific time. Therefore you can’t break your trip along the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 1:25:45 #879860

Hi Milena,

I thought it might be worth clarifying that if you break your journey, you have to resume and complete it the same day.

If you took an overnight break, you would need a separate ticket for the second day.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 March 2018 at 6:02:43 #879861

I just wanted to pointed out that all of the above is correct, but there are rare exceptions. Sometimes single way tickets are valid for a limited time frame, usually 2 hours. You can still break your trip, but the ticket will in any case expire in 2 hours. This could be the case with a ticket from Zürich to Winterthur, for example. This limitation is printed on the ticket. For this and more train travel details, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/howtotra vel.

• The thread ‘Could you break a journey with Swiss rail ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.