Cross border rail journey and Berner Oberland Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2016 at 14:19:18 #809055

Two friends from America with their 13 year old son and I will travel from Milano Centrale to Interlaken via Spiez. We three adults have purchased Berner Oberland Passes, but I was not able to find an online link to purchase the CHF30 pass for their son. I have three questions about this journey. When I purchase the ticket in Milan, do I designate Spiez as a destination or Interlaken in order to use the BOP? If Interlaken, can we still use the BOP for the Swiss leg of the journey when ticketing in Mian? If we can use the BOP, will I be able to purchase the child’s pass during the 10 minute layover in Spiez and still make the train? Thanks for any answers/advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 May 2016 at 8:55:13 #851402

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Eirewalker!

The Junior Travelcard can be bought online through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, but only combined with a regional pass. So you could have ordered your Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland and the Junior Travelcard together, but since you already have your Regional-Passes you’ll have to purchase the Junior Travelcard once you’re in Switzerland.

If you’re coming from Milan, the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland will be valid from Brig onwards, provided that you use the regional trains passing Goppenstein and Kandersteg instead of the quick tunnel connection from Visp to Frutigen, as that’s not included in the pass. The validity map shows all details of the pass coverage. The entire leg Brig-Spiez-Interlaken will thus be covered, and you only need additional tickets Milan-Brig. Please find details and purchase options here.

A ten minute break is quite tight to purchase the Junior Travelcard. But if you want to make use of the Regional-Pass validity as much as you can (as explained above), you’ll have to get out in Brig anyway in order to catch the regional train towards Spiez. So if I were you, I’d buy the Junior Travelcard in Brig and just get on the next possible train after that. You don’t need seat reservations for this leg, so you can board any train running this route once you’re done purchasing the Junior Travelcard.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 9:09:36 #851403

Thank you, Annika, for your inestimable help in sorting this out. Since we do not travel until August, I believe I still have time to purchase the Junior Travel Card online. The links you have provided will save me a good deal of time. And wiith your advice for the journey we will travel with greater ease and peace of mind.

• The thread ‘Cross border rail journey and Berner Oberland Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.