i’m going to visit Swiss, at Jul 2016.

my basic plan is:

• 26/6/2016 – 30/6/2016: Austria
    • 30/6/2016: Mainau -> Rheinfall -> Interlaken
    • 1/7/2016: Jungfrau -> Interlaken
    • 2/7/2016: Sustenpass, Grimsel Pass, Lucerne -> Interlaken
    • 3/7/2016: Bern, Basel and pass to Germany
    • 4/7/2016 – 7/7/2016: possible Baden-Baden
    • 7/7/2016-8/7/2016: Munich (those date are a must)

do you have other suggestion for my basic plan? i can extend my stay in Swiss…

also, what can i plan to get the better cost for attraction?

thanks in advanced, Arie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 December 2015 at 8:54:52 #847208

Hi Ariebk-

Welcome to the Forum.

I have not tested your plans against the timetable, but the travel on the 2nd seems a bit long to me. Would you use the Post Bus “tour” of the passes? Luzern seems out of the way if you are coming back to interlaken. I hope I’m wrong about that , but, you might wish to check carefully against the time table:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and a map:

map.classic.search.ch/

or, better on smartphones –

map.search.ch/

Also, Luzern by itself and its immediate surroundings are worth spending some time:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

To my surprise, the first day seems to be doable, in no small part due to good connections between Mainau and Neuhausen am Rheinfall. Of course, that will depend on how much time you spend at Mainau and the Rheinfall, and especially will depend on when you arrive there from Austria. I wonder about that journey to Mainau and how long it will take…depending on where in Austria you come from. Also, you’ll want to watch the timing of connections in Switzerland, but those are usually frequent.

Also, in English, the name of the country is Switzerland, not Swiss. Swiss an adjective in English. That is a bit confusing, I know, because the name of the country in French is le Suisse and in German it is die Schweiz.

<<“also, what can i plan to get the better cost for attraction?”>>

I’m not sure what you are asking. There are discounted fare rail passes. Some tourist attractions offer reduced admission costs to holders of certain rail passes. Some towns or regions have “discount cards.” What attractions in particular are you considering?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2015 at 10:32:13 #847209

Thanks for your replay.

I’m traveling with a car, rented in Munich…

my time table (in General) is:

30/6/2015

08:30 Lindau to Mainau – 51Km (Estimated 1:30h Driving) , stay in Mainau, about 4h

14:00 Mainau to Rheinfall – 61Km (Estimated 50m Driving), Stay in Rheinfall , About 3h

18:00 Rheinfall toInterlaken – 107Km (Estimated 01:30h Driving), Arriving to our Room at 19:30

1/7/2015

Jungfrau

2/7/2015

08:30 Interlaken to Sustenpass – 54Km (Estimated 1:00h Driving) , stay in Sustenpass , about 1½h

11:00 Sustenpass to Grimsel Pass – 67Km (Estimated 1:45h Driving) , stay in Grimsel Pass, about 1½h

14:00 Grimsel Pass to Lucerne – 111Km (Estimated 2:00h Driving) , stay in Lucerne , about 3h

18:30Lucerne to interlaken – 60Km (Estimated 1:00h Driving) , Arriving to our Room at 20:30

3/7/2015

08:30 Interlaken to Bern – 54Km (Estimated 1:00h Driving) , stay in Bern, about 3h

12:30 Bern to Basel – 98Km (Estimated 1:30h Driving) , stay in Basel, about 3h

17:00 Basel to Baden-Baden, Germany – 165Km (Estimated 2:00h Driving) , Arriving to our Room at 19:00

is this time schedule, Possible and Logical?

Regarding attraction,i think about Jungfrau, Cruises on Lake Lucerne, Restaurants and others that you can tell me about, respectively to the places i wrote above…

Thanks a lot !Arie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 December 2015 at 19:15:35 #847210

Hi Arie-

At first glance it will work. Each person has their own preferences. I have driven those passes,and it quite an experience. On balance, I would rather spend my time in Luzern, or on one of the mountains that are accessible by cable way or cog-rail train.

You may have slower times in driving the passes than you estimate.. Others in the forum have driven some of those roads recently…perhaps they can jump in. You might consider starting a new thread with the names of the passes in the title, to catch the eye of others who know the routes.

Are you alone? If you are, then you have an issue with the roads on the high passes. You will find it very difficult to drive them and look at the scenery at the same time. Those roads twist and turn a lot. To really look around, you’ll have to stop.

Also, are you aware that you cannot drive nearer to the Jungfrau than Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen (or, Stechelberg if you are interested in Mürren and Schilthorn.)

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2015 at 19:30:44 #847211

Thanks (again) for you replay.

I’m not alone, but I am the driver, also, i have experience with this kind of driving, but, i think i need to change the schedule a little.

also, i know that i need to take train to get Jungfrau, my plan is to take it from Grindelwald.

it’s my firs time in Switzerland, and i want to see as much as i can, but, probably i need to re plan and give (at least) one more day.

i will open a new a new thread, regarding the passes, it’s a good idea.

what can you tell me about saving some money?good deals, 1+1 ..

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 December 2015 at 21:28:43 #847212

<<“what can you tell me about saving some money?good deals, 1+1 ..”>>

I can’t. I save money by staying in villages, and using a half-fare rail card ( residents version, much cheaper than the one month tourist version.)

As I mentioned before , many regions and towns have special “save money” packages, but I don’t use them and don’t know anything about them. Check with the tourist offices where you are staying or visiting.

Good to hear that you are comfortable with Alpine driving.

The high passes usually open in the first two weeks of June….but keep your eyes open for the signs at the entrance roads and check the internet. You should have no trouble. You are late enough to have open passes, barring freak weather.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15481 posts
    15 December 2015 at 5:32:38 #847213

Hi Arie,

Here are some tips to save money: myswissalps.com/plantr ip/doityourself/savemo ney. Also you can keep an eye on the Swiss Half Fare Card page (especially the Price and Discounts tabs). Perhaps there’ll be a promo before you leave. If you’re interested in budget hotels you can take a look here, and post in the accommodation forum if you need help.

Note that parking in the larger towns can be hard to find and expensive. If you’re based in one town and want to visit another it’s usually more comfortable to take the train for the day. The station is in the center of town and exploring is best done on foot. This section might be of interest too: myswissalps.com/car.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2015 at 6:24:56 #847214

Thanks a lot Arno!

• The thread ‘Couple days trip in Swiss in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.