Day trip Lausanne via Gotthard Panorama to Lugano

• bxrb9
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 April 2023 at 12:27:26 #829526

Hi! Do you think it’s possible to do a day trip from Lausanne to Lugano? I’m planning to do a solo trip to Lugano as I want to make use of the Gotthard Panorama Express scenic route. Do you have any quick itinerary suggestions? I hope to go back to Lausanne within the same day. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2023 at 13:44:10 #953137

Hi Bxrb9,

That is possible but you’ll be on trains most of the day. It will take around 6 hours to get there. Please check the timetable for Lausanne to Lugano and enter the via-station “Göschenen” (that makes sure you’ll take the panorama route): http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

For the return trip, you can either take all InterCity trains in less than 4.5 hours, or consider another scenic route via the Centovalli line: Lugano – Locarno – Domodossola (Italy) – Brig – Lausanne. Enter via-station “Intragna” in the timetable.

Here’s some additional info to plan your day:

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2023 at 23:25:26 #953138

Lausanne – Lugano is not really practical or recommended as a day trip due to the geography. Is there a particular reason you want to do this?

The Gotthard railway mountain route is interesting, but it isn’t really worth a complete trip in it’s own right.

bxrb9
    Participant
    8 posts
    15 April 2023 at 8:52:57 #953139

Hi all! Thanks for the insights. As I do have an STP during my whole trip in Swizterland, I wanted to make use of the Gotthard Panorama Express. I also heard that there’s a special cabin in the train where it’s suitable for photo taking.

Aside from the scenic train, I would like to visit Swing the World and the famous gate at Parco Ciani. Other than that, just plan to have a small bite and quick walk around the area then head back to Lausanne (where I’m staying at).

With that, I do have other questions:

1. Does it really take about 6 hours to get from Lausanne to Lugano?

2. Do I need to reserve seats in the train or could I just show my STP when boarding the train? How do I ensure I get a seat for this?

3. Based on this website: http://www.gotthard-panorama-express.ch/en/stories/fahrplan, there’s only specific timings to board the Gotthard train. Does it mean that the earliest I can board if I take the train from “Göschenen” would be at 2:47pm?

4. Do you think my current Day Trip Itinerary is doable?

5. Is the other scenic route via the Centovalli line under STP as well and would I be legible for this as a toursit? (since I see that it will pass by Italy)

Hope I make sense! First time travelling to Swizterland here. 😊

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 April 2023 at 9:42:01 #953140

Hi bxrb9,

The fastest option to get from Lausanne to Lugano is by regular train (4 hrs 14 mins journey with one quick change in Lucerne). You can check train schedules here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable. It will take you longer if you wish to travel on the Gotthard Panorama Express. There is only one Gotthard Panorama Express service in each direction daily so you need to plan your arrival and departure carefully if you don’t want to miss your connection.

Also, you would need to book your seat in advance and pay for an upgrade to 1st class on the Gotthard Panorama Express train, if you have a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass. Seat reservation on the regular trains is not required (only on panoramic trains) as explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/reservations.

Travelling on the Centovalli Railway is a good alternative as it is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. But you will need to travel to Brig first, then change in Domodossola and Locarno before reaching Lugano. This route will take about 4.5 hours.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Day trip Lausanne via Gotthard Panorama to Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.