Class upgrade for Gotthard Panorama Express?

• VishalChadha
    Participant
    19 posts
    12 September 2018 at 4:53:20 #818320

Dear all

I have reserved the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lugano to Fluelen in October. For the same I have paid CHF 24 as “Gotthard Panorama Express Supplement”. I have a Swiss Travel Pass, 2nd Class.

The reservation on the GP that I have made are in the 1st class, as I understand that seats in the 2nd class do not have panorama windows.

My question is: do I need to purchase a class upgrade separately to allow me to travel on the GP 1st class with a STP 2nd class? If so, Kindly let me know the process, websites, etc. to go about to same?

Thanks

Vishal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2018 at 6:17:31 #896036

Hi Vishal,

Yes, you do need to buy the class upgrade ticket for the trip in 1st class.

Look here for details online for a “class upgrade for a specific route”: http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/class-upgrade.html

It may be easiest to do this at the train station in Lugano (or any other) once you are in Switzerland (as long as you do it before boarding the train).

VishalChadha
    Participant
    19 posts
    12 September 2018 at 7:36:59 #896037

Hi Lucas

Thanks for the info. So if I were to understand you correctly, this class upgrade is not a limited quantity item which has a risk of selling out if I wait till the day of travel to purchase it?

Also please kindly look at the screenshot attached. I tried finding this upgrade for my route on the SBB mobile app. Does this look right to you?

Best regards

Vishal

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 September 2018 at 8:14:50 #896038

Hi Vishal,

It won’t sell out, no worries. The screenshot does not show the correct ticket as you only need to upgrade the train portion, and Arth-Goldau is not part of the route. The price should be lower. Of course you can upgrade the boat section too if you want, but you won’t have reserved seats there. You can best arrange for all of this at the station. If you want to do it online then be sure to only upgrade the train leg from Lugano via Airolo to Flüelen.

VishalChadha
    Participant
    19 posts
    12 September 2018 at 9:56:49 #896039

Thanks Arno and Lucas. Your replies have been very timely and helpful, a true testimony of the great resource that this website and forum are. Thanks again. I will go ahead and buy the class upgrade at the station itself.

A minor side question: I was trying to register myself on the SBB mobile app. It asks if I have a ‘Public Transport Travelcard’, although specifying that it is not essentially to have one to be able to register.

I will be purchasing a Swiss Travel Pass soon, though I haven’t yet. Is an STP considered a Public Transport Travelcard? If yes, I will wait till I have purchased one before registering on the SBB website.

Best regards

Vishal

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 September 2018 at 10:59:08 #896040

Glad to hear that Vishal! The SBB app is mostly geared to Swiss residents. As a tourist, you can use it to check train times but you don’t need an account. It is unrelated to the Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Travel Pass is a PDF document that you can store on your phone, but you will need to print it too. Please find purchase options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

• The thread ‘Class upgrade for Gotthard Panorama Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.