Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    29 November 2021 at 6:46:24 #933487

Hi Rob,

The Netherlands is also in the high-risk list. But if your transit in Amsterdam is a quick one and you remain in the transit area, the quarantine restriction does not apply upon arrival in Switzerland.

Regards,

Anna

Anna
    6382 posts
    29 November 2021 at 6:53:28 #933488

Hi Johnsonkelly,

Currently, the government has no plans to implement a lockdown in Switzerland. I cannot confirm this might not happen but any decision regarding this would be announced in advance and we would update this here as soon as information becomes available.

But no lockdowns at the moment, however entry restrictions have been tightened for some countries.

Regards,

Anna

bear2019
    Participant
    50 posts
    29 November 2021 at 12:54:54 #933489

Hi Anna,

i just checked the link on country restriction, but not sure if it is stated clearly.

eg UK listed as country with variant of concern, does this mean Visitor from UK not able to access Switzerland at the moment?

Anna
    6382 posts
    29 November 2021 at 13:13:29 #933490

Hi bear2019,

To prevent the spread of a new variant, the Swiss government has reintroduced some restrictions for various countries with a variant of concern. Anyone entering Switzerland from these high-risk countries must present a negative test result and quarantine for 10 days. Unfortunately, the United Kingdom is on this list.

We’ve updated the details in our first post on this thread.

Regards,

Anna

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    29 November 2021 at 13:15:56 #933491

Thank you for the confirmation Anna. It’s a little disheartening that the UK was restricted when there have only been two confirmed cases there. That doesn’t leave much margin of error for the U.S. Seems inevitable, but we’re keeping our fingers crossed.

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    29 November 2021 at 14:39:51 #933492

Hello Arno

I am so sad regarding the newest Omicron variant and international travel ban for certain countries to Switzerland.

I am from South Africa and currently busy planning a trip for us to come and visit Switzerland during September 2022.

This is still 9 months in advance, but one must plan ahead, make bookings and buy airplane tickets in advance.

Now it feels as if all my planning will come to a stop 🙁

But I will try to stay positive and really hope that this unsure time will also pass and that Switzerland will open again its borders for our country in the months to come.

The info that I got on MSA Forum is so wonderful!! So in the meantime, I will do as much planning and homework as I can, and maybe, just maybe, we will still be able to come and visit Switzerland in September 2022 🙂

I do understand the worries and precautions that must be taken in advance before it gets out of hand (as the situation was during 2020 before the vaccine etc.)

Thanks for this forum and thank you for keeping us members informed.

Keep safe!!

Regards

TravelElla

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 November 2021 at 15:57:55 #933493

Hi TravelElla,

I understand exactly how you feel. However, September is far in the future. There has been more travel in 2021 than 2020, particularly from July through October. Next year should be better. I would not stop planning, just make sure your bookings can be cancelled for little or no money. My guess is that the world will look a lot better after April or May. But it’s a guess, no guarantee 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 November 2021 at 16:14:11 #933494

Hi Fballguy,

It seems that Switzerland is taking the “better safe than sorry” approach. This virus variant will probably pop up in many more countries. Hopefully restrictions will be less or lifted once more is known about the variant. There aren’t many details yet. Stay tuned!

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    29 November 2021 at 16:17:55 #933495

Hello again Arno

Thanks for your positivity regarding the last half of 2022 🙂

We keep thumbs for this!!

Yes, the current bookings are all with free cancellation, so no worries regarding this matter at this stage.

And I will definately carry on with the planning of our itinerary.

Its good to surf around on the internet and to be informed about all the places, sites, routes, etc that we want to visit. So, it will keep me busy 🙂

Regards

TravelElla

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2021 at 22:25:21 #933496

I second the notion that you should plan for your trip being possible.

Apart from in the early days of the pandemic the travel industry has learnt that, however irritating and awkward for businesses, it can’t survive without allowing free cancellation .

Also, a visit to Switzerland can be planned and organised at quite short notice, as it is not absolutely necessary to book anything other than hotels.

sjomishkin
    Participant
    11 posts
    30 November 2021 at 2:59:27 #933497

We already booked all of our railway tickets from Zurich to Zermatt and then Zermatt to Venice. If Switzerland doesn’t allow Americans will be get a refund?

Anna
    6382 posts
    30 November 2021 at 8:09:42 #933498

Hi sjomishkin,

In most cases you will be able to request for a refund. Check the conditions of your tickets. For tips on planning during this challenging time, check out this guide: http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus/planning

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

bear2019
    Participant
    50 posts
    1 December 2021 at 0:35:08 #933499

In case if my country suddenly listed as VOC, and i were to proceed for 10 days quarantine in switzerland, can i choose my own accomodation, as in hotel/ airbnb. Basically i just continue as my plan, just that i make it longer. What is other restriction?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2021 at 14:57:38 #933500

Hi Bear2019,

The official answer is that “You are required to go immediately and directly to your home or to other suitable accommodation”. Unfortunately, it still does not clarify if it can be a hotel or an Airbnb. But please note, that you cannot leave your accommodation, not even to go and get some food for yourself. You need to order or ask somebody to help you out (who is not in quarantine).

You can call the Coronavirus Infoline to ask them, if you wish: Infoline Coronavirus: Tel. +41 58 463 00 00
    Take care,

Ildiko

Flyjenn
    Participant
    1 post
    2 December 2021 at 21:31:36 #933501

Hello. I know there is no crystal ball, but based on what you’ve seen what is the likelihood that a cantonal authority will relax measures in a particular area?

“In justified cases, the competent cantonal authority may authorise further exemptions from the testing and quarantine requirements, or gran relaxation of the measures.” (From Travelcheck site.)

We were originally suppose to travel from the United States to Zermatt on 12/25/21, but with recent Omicron and changes, I think this will not be likely due to quarantine measures and closure to US citizens. I know they haven’t closed to US citizens yet, but they will. We have two reported cases of the new variant and with our population, I’m guessing we will have a high number of this variant in a matter of days.

I’m thinking Christmas in Zermatt will not happen at this point. Thank you for all you do to update the forum with information on this ever changing situation.

Abbyoropeza
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 December 2021 at 23:08:11 #933502

We too are going to Zermatt For Christmas from the US. We leave on the 14th and I have not given up hope yet. I keep checking the Swiss website for any news.

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    3 December 2021 at 2:00:43 #933503

I’ll join the party. Also, coming from the U.S. We leave on the 16th and I’m expecting disappointing news at any time. At least 3 cases in the U.S. now. The U.K. was banned for 2.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 December 2021 at 6:46:10 #933504

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to recommend to not cancel your trips until you really have to. There’s a lot of debate going on in Swiss politics at the moment. Restrictions may change soon (not necessarily getting worse) although nothing is sure at this point. We’ll update the original post in this thread as soon as there’s news.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 December 2021 at 13:46:04 #933505

Good news! All countries will be removed from the quarantine list tomorrow. Please follow the updates in the first post of the thread: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland.

bear2019
    Participant
    50 posts
    3 December 2021 at 14:09:41 #933506

Hi Arno,

it is really good news! Finger cross all is goood and smooth journey for all of us!

Viewing 20 posts - 821 through 840 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.