Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yenhan10
    Participant
    38 posts
    3 December 2021 at 14:48:40 #933507

For this latest update, does the PCR test required for all the travellers or only for thos listed countries?

Shamanz
    Participant
    9 posts
    3 December 2021 at 17:04:36 #933508

Extract from the press release:

“In order to continue to prevent the new Omicron variant from entering the country as far as possible, a stricter testing regime will now apply for all arrivals into Switzerland. This testing requirement also applies to those who have been vaccinated or have recovered from the disease. In addition to taking a PCR test before travelling, a second test (PCR test or rapid antigen test) must be carried out between the fourth and seventh day after arrival.”

My flight fm Singapore ileaves at 1:30 am Sunday 5/12. if this new requirement is effective 4/12, it will be mad rrush for us to do the PCR test tonorrow morning (it’s past midnite here now). Usually it takes abt 24 hrs to get the results, but that would be after the flight time. I guess we woukd have no choice but to use the express PCR service to get the results between 6 to 12 hrs, but it costs twice as much as the regular PCR.

I’m now anxiously waiting for the relevant webpage and Travelcheck to be updated.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 December 2021 at 17:42:53 #933509

Hi Yenhan10,

Yes, the test is required for everyone.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 December 2021 at 17:44:51 #933510

Hi Shamanz,

I hope it works out for you! If not, I can imagine that the authorities would understand the difficulty on the first day of these changed restrictions, and make you do a test on arrival at the airport. But that’s a guess, not a guarantee.

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    3 December 2021 at 21:20:07 #933511

Definitely good news but its getting confusing and more expensive it seems. A few questions, if answers are available.

1) How recent does the test have to be? 48-72 hours? We’ve already booked our train and won’t have time to stand in a line and wait for results upon arrival.

2) Are children under 16 now required to be tested?

3) If you are staying for 10+ days…You’ll have to be tested 3 times? Once upon (or slightly before) arrival, once between days 4-7 and once again to be let back into the U.S. Talk about overkill. Somebody’s making good money.

Anna
    6362 posts
    3 December 2021 at 21:59:09 #933512

Hi Fballguy,

1. The PCR test result is valid for 72 hours and the rapid antigen test 24 hours. So ideally, you should take the PCR test no longer than 2 days before your arrival.

2. Children under 16 don’t have to be tested.

3. Yes, 3 tests in total sounds about right. Most countries have or are implementing the same preventive measures so almost everyone is subject to testing regardless you are vaccinated or recovered.

Hopefully this will reduce the infection rates and relieve pressure on the hospitals.

Regards,

Anna

Shamanz
    Participant
    9 posts
    4 December 2021 at 3:57:25 #933513

Hi Arno, FOPH’s webpage relating to the travel entry requirements was finally updated abt 5 hrs ago (6.30 am here). As expected, I am required to do pre-departure PCR done. So just got that done via express service and now to wait another 6 hours before the result is out.

The airliine has not even sent out any email on this latest change in travel advisory for my flight. Called them this morning and they said they were not aware. Hopefully all goes well with my PCR test and everything proceeds smoothly afterwards.

Anna
    6362 posts
    4 December 2021 at 8:27:29 #933514

Hi Shamanz,

Good to know you have access to express PCR test. The increased measures come to into effect on Monday 6 December. I think the airlines will soon make some announcement. As these measures were announced at the weekend, there may be slight delays in getting the news out to customers and passengers.

Have a safe trip!

Regards,

Anna

Emilylee
    Participant
    6 posts
    4 December 2021 at 9:57:09 #933515

Hi, We are travelling from Singapore to France first and will be entering Switzerland via the border region (Strasbourg to Basel), do you know if we require a PCR test? We saw that there is an exemption as such mentioned in the FAQ (extract below) but not sure if we would fall under this

2. Does the test requirement also apply to Switzerland’s border regions?

No, exemptions apply for cross-border commuters and people travelling to Switzerland from the border

regions. Travellers from these regions do not have to complete a contact form or have a test.

The border regions are:

• Regions in Germany: Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria

• Regions in France: Grand-Est, Burgundy/Franche Comté and Auvergne/Rhône-Alpes

• Regions in Italy: Piedmont, Aosta Valley, Lombardy and Trentino/South Tyrol

• Regions in Austria: Tyrol and Vorarlberg

• Regions in Liechtenstein: the whole Principality of Liechtenstein

Shamanz
    Participant
    9 posts
    4 December 2021 at 9:58:52 #933516

Hi Anna, I diid see it was mentioned that the local heightened measures come into effect on 6 Dec 2021. But I couldn’t find any effective date mentioned under the category “Entering Switzerland a >> Test Requirement”. Anyway, I think it’s still worthwhile to get the PCR test done and be ready, just in case. You never know it may come in handy.

I’ve just received the PCR result and will be on my way to Switzerland in 7.5 hrs! Praying for a safe and smooth journey..😊 Thanks Anna, Arno for your help and great work!

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    4 December 2021 at 15:07:22 #933517

A 72 hour window for a PCR test is not very international traveller friendly. I’m trying to figure out the logistics of getting the result prior to taking off, yet staying within 72 hours. PCR test results in my area take 48-72 hours to get…unless we want the rapid PCR for the fun price of $250 per person.

streetromeo
    Participant
    3 posts
    4 December 2021 at 16:19:20 #933518

Hi, if we come from Paris to Swiss in TGV Train, do we require negative RT PCR?

Anna
    6362 posts
    4 December 2021 at 17:11:44 #933519

Hi EmilyLee,

If you have spent the last 10 days in another country other than France before arriving in Switzerland, I think you would still be asked to present a negative PCR test. Random checks are carried out at the border and you risk being fined if you fail to present a test result.

Please use the Travelcheck platform to find out what requirements are applicable for you. You can find the link in the first post of this thread.

Regards,

Anna

Anna
    6362 posts
    4 December 2021 at 17:17:07 #933520

Hi streetromeo,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

You do need to present a negative PCR test to enter Switzerland if you are visiting as a tourist. Random checks are carried out at the border. Please use the Travelcheck tool to find out what requirements are applicable for you. The link is listed on the first post of this thread. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    4 December 2021 at 19:28:21 #933521

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, it’s very much appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

Ithinkusc
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 December 2021 at 0:26:49 #933522

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the second test between 4th and 7th day. My plan is to leave Switzerland to Italy on the 4th day after my arrival. Do I still need to perform this second test?

Thanks!

mario777
    Participant
    14 posts
    5 December 2021 at 8:02:47 #933523

Hello everyone!

Regarding the second test between the 4th and the 7th day of stay, I came across the following using the Travelcheck tool:

” A second test is required four to seven days after entry. This may be a PCR test or a rapid nasopharyngeal antigen test. ”

Can anybody confirm that a rapid test will be accepted as well?

Thanks in advance,

Mario

(Sorry for the posts below, mobile connection issues)

Ithinkusc
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 December 2021 at 9:07:44 #933524

Hi,

I have quick question about required document applying for the Swiss covid document. One of the requirement is identity card:

“Identity card or if you are a person with a valid residence permit* in Switzerland, upload one of the following documents: foreigner’s identity card, asylum card, diplomat’s identity card, etc.; the surname, first name, date of birth, expiry date and/or date of issue, as well as a photo of the holder must be visible. error_outline”

What’s this identity card? Could it be something like passport? Or permanent residence card (like Green card) or driver licence?

Also how soon can we get the certificate after application?

Thanks!

Tamy
    Participant
    7 posts
    5 December 2021 at 10:13:09 #933525

My family and friends are planning to visit Switzerland in April next year and hopefully by that time rules around Covid19 will be eased. However, in the event that things aren’t going to change, may I ask if the PCR test is easily accessed in Switzerland for tourists and also if this is covered by GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card). We are based in London.

Thank you & your response will be appreciated.

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 December 2021 at 11:25:38 #933526

Hi Ithinkusc, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Since the 2nd test should be performed between day 4 and 7 after your arrival, I don’t think you have to perform it if you travel along to Italy on day 4.

Viewing 20 posts - 841 through 860 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.