Does this seem achievable?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 16:04:41 #807811

We will be arriving from Domodossia to Brig spend the night at Brig. The next morning I would purchase the Swiss Pass at the train station (?) to go to Zermatt for the day. I don’t want to purchase ahead of time. I researched on this forum an found out we can rent lockers for our carry-on bags and backpacks, I hope this is correct. We would like to ride the cable cars to Matterhorn (I think we will have to pay something extra b/c this is not covered in the Swiss Pass?) We would leave Zermatt on train to Bern.

Bern spend the night and explore the next morning, any thing ineresting we need to see? Then in the late afternoon leave on the train to Lucerne.

Lucerne will be out base for 3 night as we want to visit Mt Titlis. I read on forum you could go down mountain and catch the boat to go back to Lucerne? Would also like to go to Interlaken, what should we do for a day there? I was only going to buy the 4 day Swiss Pass. We would have used all the pass at this point . We would go to Zurich before we fly out the next day. When we leave Lucerne to Zurich I was going to purchase the train ticket separately b/c I didn’t want to pay for a 8 day pass, is this smart? We will have to get to the airport from out hotel in Zurich so suggestion would also be helpful. Any helpful tips or advice would greatly be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 August 2015 at 5:47:24 #845653

Hi Patsy, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You plan seems certainly achievable to me. The one day to Zermatt is kind of a risk: if the weather is bad that day there’s not much to see there, so in that case you may want to go to Bern straight away. There are indeed lockers in Brig.

There’s not much to see in Interlaken. The Jungfrau region south of Interlaken is wonderful, but I don’t know whether you can fit that into your schedule. There’s plenty to see closer to Lucerne.

Please note that the Swiss Pass is not for tourists. What you need is the Swiss Travel Pass. You don’t want to purchase it ahead of time, but just in case you haven’t checked our price section yet: it’s a lot cheaper to buy it online. You’ll get a $50 discount via http://www.raileurope.com/ rail-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html. Or you can buy through http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-pass for a low price, and possibly an extra discount if you buy no later than August 26: http://www.raileurope-world.com/deals/great-deals-to-tour-Europe.

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is more expensive than an 4-day pass, but the difference is not that big. If I understand you correctly, your trip from Domodossola to Zurich is 7 days. An 8-day pass could make sense, but to be sure you’d have to list all your trips and do the math. The Swiss Travel Pass also covers Domodossola to Brig, as well as the cogwheel train to Mount Rigi and the boat back to Lucerne.

You can find hotel suggestions through myswissalps.com/ hotels.

Was this useful for you?

• The thread ‘Does this seem achievable?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.