Drive from Zurich to Tasch to Asti in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2015 at 20:34:51 #806851

I plan on crossing the Swiss Alps by car this May: Zurich to Tasch (Zermatt) on May 10, then Tasch to Asti, Italy on May 12. A few questions:

Will I definitely have passable roads?

My car will have rear-wheel drive and all-season tires. Will I need winter-specific tires? And if not, should I have chains just in case?

I was hoping to go via Susten Pass to Tasch, but I heard it may not be open then… what is a scenic alternative?

Also, is there anything else I should know about the trip? All information is welcome!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 February 2015 at 17:07:06 #841675

Hi DKNY999,

Not all the passes will be open mid May, but many will be. Of course there can always be a temporary closure, so do check before you drive. There are various routes from Zürich to Täsch. An obvious one is via the Brünig Pass (open all year round) and the car train between Kandersteg and Goppenstein (there’s no road there). This route is pretty nice if you take your time and take a few local routes instead of just the main roads (like the Northern shore of Lake Brienz). The Susten Pass normally only opens up in June. That goes for the Furka Pass as well, which is another alternative in Summer.

From Täsch to Italy you will cross the Simplon Pass, which is also open all year long.

You don’t need snow chains. They can only be used on a good layer of compact snow, which is not to be expected in May, and certainly not on the main roads. Should the road to Täsch be a problem you can park in Visp instead and take the train from there.

Much more information is here: myswissalps.com/car. Hotel suggestions for Zermatt are here: myswissalps.com/zermatt/hotels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2015 at 17:14:37 #841676

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. I look forward to seeing the Alps this spring!

• The thread ‘Drive from Zurich to Tasch to Asti in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.