Driving from Interlaken to Täsch via car train

• Evanstars
    Participant
    5 posts
    19 February 2016 at 4:19:52 #808450

Hi,

4 of us will be travelling to Switzerland Late September 2016 and we will be purchasing the 15day Swiss Flexi Travel pass. We will be based in Interlaken and do our trips from here.

We are planning on hiring a car for a few days and 1 of the road trips will go to Täsch then train to Zermatt. At Kandersteg we will piggyback but from here I am lost. Is there a detailed map from here of how we piggyback, get off and Continue our drive to Täsch? Also i hear piggyback is one way and cant Return this way to Interlaken? Is this right? Pls advise best Route back. Will i Need to go through passes?

Thank you for any Feedback.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 February 2016 at 8:13:08 #848576

Hi Evanstars, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The car train runs in both directions, so no problem there. You simply follow the signs to Kandersteg (where it departs) and the “Lötschberg” car train signs. It’s hard to miss. Then you pay, drive onto the train and stay in your car during the ride.

Is this just a day trip? If so, I would recommend to simply do it by train. It’s all free with your Swiss Travel Pass Flex. By train it’s quicker (just over 2 hours), more relaxed, and you avoid the car train fees and parking fee in Täsch. Also you can optionally take the local train via Kandersteg and Goppenstein for nice scenery.

Evanstars
    Participant
    5 posts
    19 February 2016 at 11:41:36 #848577

Thank you Arno. This is a day trip and want to return to Interlaken via Grimselpass hence the car. 1 more question we will be in Interlaken area from September 18 to 30th and would like to see the cows come down from the mountain. Where could i get info on this.

cheers

Anna

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 February 2016 at 7:31:23 #848578

Hi Anna,

Ok, that makes sense. As for the cows coming down (Alpabzug): you’re there during the right time, but for exact dates you can best ask local tourist offices. The one in Interlaken might know dates for several villages in the region: http://www.interlaken.ch.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 February 2016 at 1:06:26 #848579

Hi Arno…

Is there not a bus over the Grimsel? Reservations, perhaps…

Not that I would avoid the drive, but you can see more when you are not concentrating on falling off the edge of the road. 😉

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 February 2016 at 12:32:25 #848580

Hi Slowpoke,

Yes, there are, from Oberwald to Meiringen for example. It’s a limited schedule so it does require planning ahead.

Evanstars
    Participant
    5 posts
    22 February 2016 at 6:44:51 #848581

Hi Arno, thanks. I’m so glad we will be at the right time and place for Alpabzug. Also with the car there will be a few days where we would like to take our time and not by a schedule. 😀

Hi Slowpoke, your freaking me out, haha, so i had a look at the road trip via youtube and the roads look good plus lots of places to pull over for when I Start to sweat:D. My dad who Passed away a few years back, and we live in Australia, is Swiss so if he can do it so can I :):)

Thanks for your help.

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 February 2016 at 6:57:47 #848582

Hi Anna-

<<“My dad who Passed away a few years back, and we live in Australia, is Swiss so if he can do it so can I :):)”>>

No question that you can do it. That is a given. The question is whether you will enjoy it. 😉

I’ve not checked recently….are there guardrails all along the route?

Have fun, no matter how you do it.

Sl,owpoke

• The thread ‘Driving from Interlaken to Täsch via car train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.