Driving from Zermatt (Tasch) to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2018 at 17:07:06 #817986

Hello – I am travelling to Switzerland with friends in September and will be renting a car throughout our 10 day stay. I have heard that it is very safe and easy to drive around all parts of Switzerland, which gave me plenty of comfort. I just wanted to double check on this first part on the driveability of Switzerland.

Secondly, we are finishing our trip in Milan, so we will be driving from Zermatt to Milan. Having spent a year in Florence and Rome, I know to never drive around Italy… However, if I am just driving from Zermatt to Milan and returning my car right away, is that a do-able drive for an American such as myself who is not used to driving in Europe/Italy?

Best,

Jim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 August 2018 at 18:49:04 #894646

Hi Jim, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To be honest, I find the Swiss trains easier and safer than the roads. The Swiss roads are as safe as they can be. But drivers need to know how to drive in the mountains, which is very different from the plains. If you haven’t read our car section yet, then please find the link here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r.

Did you rent the car in Italy and therefor need to return it there? Normally I’d recommend avoiding driving into Milan. To reach Milan, it would be more comfortable to drop the car in Brig, for example, and take the train from there. But that might not be an economical option for you?

The road from Täsch down to Visp is certainly doable. Just don’t speed – it’s a mountain road. Then it’s motorway to Brig – easy. Then you’ll take the Simplon pass road, or a car train, into Italy. A fairly doable pass – open year round. I don’t know the Italian leg. I just know not to drive in Milan 🙂 I’ve been there, by train.

• The thread ‘Driving from Zermatt (Tasch) to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.