About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Driving Great St Bernard Pass to Zermatt in June
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Driving Great St Bernard Pass to Zermatt in June

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
DianaS
DianaS
2 posts
Nov 7, 2022 - 8:26 PM

In late June 2023 we will be traveling through the Great St Bernard pass from Italy to visit the hospice. From there we plan to stop in Martigny and then on to Zermatt. From there we are switching to trains. To get to the pass, the only means I've found is driving. We can rent a car in Italy and drive through the pass to Martigny but I can't seem to find out if we can drop off the car in either Martigny or Zermatt? I also put in a request through Day Trip to see if we can do this with a driver but haven't heard back. Are there other ways I have missed? Appreciate any insight anyone can provide! Any good tips for visiting this area? Thank you!

1960man
1960man
4374 posts
expert
Nov 8, 2022 - 12:38 AM in reply to DianaS

The Grand St Bernard is one of the Alpine pass roads with no railway route, so you have to travel by bus or private car.

You can't drop a rental car at Zermatt as tourists cannot drive to Zermatt. Martigny is a fairly small place so I doubt many car hire firms have office there. Sion is the regional capital of the Valais which is a more likely place.

There is an infrequent bus service from Aosta to Martigny via the Grand St Bernard route, and otherwise the Hospice is served by buses from the Swiss side

www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2022/12.210.pdf

www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2022/12.211.pdf

The weak bus service is explained on this web site: Timetables - TMR SA

www.tmrsa.ch/en/timetables/

Last modified on Nov 8, 2022 - 12:44 AM by 1960man
Anna
Anna
3902 posts
expert &
Nov 8, 2022 - 10:51 AM in reply to DianaS

Hi DianaS,

The Great St Bernard Pass is open between May and October so driving through is possible during your visit. Zermatt however is a car-free destination so you will have to leave the car in Martigny (or other destinations in Valais) and take the train to Zermatt.

You can find sightseeing options in Zermatt here: www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/activities

You might also find this quick guide about driving in the mountains useful: www.myswissalps.com/car/drivinginthemountains

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Nov 8, 2022 - 10:52 AM by Anna
DianaS
DianaS
2 posts
Nov 8, 2022 - 8:56 PM in reply to 1960man

Thank you so much! I will look into these options!

1960man
1960man
4374 posts
expert
Nov 8, 2022 - 11:21 PM in reply to DianaS

You have not said where you are coming from in Italy. The best way round might be to come through the Simplon tunnel railway route from Milan to Brig and the Valais (Rhone Valley) region. from the Rhone Valley you can reach both Zermatt and the Grand St Bernard Hospice using efficient Swiss public transport.

Ildiko
Ildiko
2515 posts
expert &
Nov 9, 2022 - 8:03 AM in reply to DianaS

Hi DianaS,

you can find information (like openings) about the mountain passes here: www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficinfo.

Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022