Driving passes open early April?

Driving passes open early April?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
zerofighter
zerofighter
1 post
Jan 2, 2017 - 3:59 AM

Hi All

I am doing a BMW European Delivery the first week of April and plan to drive from Munich to Zurich. I'll be in Zurich for two days and am looking for some good driving passes that are open and do not require winter tires.I was originally planning to drive Klausen, Furka, and roads around that area but through my research they won't be open until May.

Are there any passes near Zurich and Lucrene that will be open in early April?

Thanks

Lucas
Lucas
3365 posts
expert &
Jan 2, 2017 - 10:04 AM in reply to zerofighter

Hi Zerofighter and welcome to MySwissAlps!

From my knowledge there are no closer 'mountain' passes than what you mentioned to Zurich or Lucerne.
Opening times for all passes will vary and closures can happen at any time. Take a look at our Traffic Information page for further details. It would be best to check back closer to your travel dates to see where you can go.

regards,
Lucas

Last modified on Jan 2, 2017 - 6:38 PM by Lucas
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3753 posts
expert
Jan 2, 2017 - 10:14 PM in reply to zerofighter

High Zerofighter -

Adding to Lucas' comments, I believe that you will be required by Swiss law and/or insurance to have winter tires on your car. Also, a vignette for using the motorways.

A rule of thumb for the high passes is that they open in the first or second week of June, unless there is a late snow or two or three.

Many passes have very good roads. The Klausen pass is not one of them. At least, did not when I drove it about 5 years ago.

Check this link:www.myswissalps.com/ca r

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jan 3, 2017 - 1:13 AM by Slowpoke
Arno
Arno
9616 posts
expert &
Jan 3, 2017 - 9:05 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Swiss law indeed requires a vignette for the motorways. Also it requires you to equip your car adequately for the circumstances. In practice, that means driving on summer tires in winter is out of the question. In April, it's usually Spring in lower elevations, but still winter in high alpine terrain.

Last modified on Jan 3, 2017 - 10:39 AM by Annika

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017