Driving tour in the Alps from Andermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2010 at 11:30:55 #803775

From Andermatt I’m planning a driving tour through the Alps, first heading in the direction of Oberwald by the Furka pass road, then onto Grimsel with a stop at the lake, heading for Innertkirchen, then Susten pass to Wassen and back to Andermatt. Can this trips be completed in one day? And are weather and road conditions good enough? They all seem to be larger roads but I’m not sure. I’ll be travelling in July.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    15 April 2010 at 4:55:45 #831100

Hello John6,

With a total length of about 130 km. this trip can easily be done in one day. You will have plenty of time for stops. Road conditions are good (at least they were in 2009). And weather conditions… nobody knows, just pick a day when the weather forcast is good.

It’s a beautiful trip, I did it myself more than once!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2010 at 9:42:48 #831101

Hello John6,
    I know the route you are planning and I’m sure you will enjoy it, it’s really special. Did you that coming from Andermatt driving to Realp, you will pass the smallest village in Switzerland? It’s called Zumdorf – and small as it is, it even has a nice restaurant called “Zum Dörfli”. Not important, but nice to know.
    At the highest point of the Furka Pass you will have a magnificent view. A few km. after the highest point of the Grimsel Pass you might want to visit the suspension bridge of Handegg, or (if you have time enough and if you have the nerve to do it) take the extremely steep cable car of the Gelmerbahn to the Gelmersee.

Thomas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2010 at 12:27:50 #831102

Thank you so much. I’m glad to know it’s such a beautiful tour. I may even visit the restaurant you mentioned Thomas!

• The thread ‘Driving tour in the Alps from Andermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.