Driving from Lake Como to Lauterbrunnen in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2016 at 13:11:51 #808561

Hi, my husband and daughter have rented a car and will be driving from Lake Como to Lauterbrunnen in early June. I have seen the Michelin maps site, which seems to be great! We are renting a car for only this part of our 2 week trip as we really want to see this area by car so we can stop anywhere we want along the way. We only have 2 days in Switzerland, staying at the Oberland Hotel, so its going to be very packed as far as things we see and do.

As a driver on these roads, do we need to know anything about the trip there? I see the map and the roadway, and assume all roads should be open this time of year? Are there any other road map resources that would be recommended?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    7 March 2016 at 14:21:06 #849143

Hi Ellenhuscher, welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are several routes, but in general I would say that you have a 99% chance that all passes are open. But no 100% guarantee. Snow storms and landslides can occur all year round at that altitude. I’d recommend to read the section myswissalps.com/ car, if you didn’t already. You find lots of tips there about how to drive in the mountains, current traffic info, etc. Just let us know if any questions remain.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 March 2016 at 17:54:51 #849144

Hi Ellenhuscher.

I’m not as optimistic about the high pass roads being open.. Early June is far from a sure bet, in my experience.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15482 posts
    7 March 2016 at 18:20:46 #849145

Hi Slowpoke,

I see your point. The Furka, Gotthard, Nufenen and Susten are the tricky ones. They normally open in June, so early June is not a guarantee. I would expect them to be open due to all the temperature records of the past years, but one can’t count on it. The alternative for the Furka is the car train, for the Gotthard there’s a tunnel, and the others require a detour if closed.

• The thread ‘Driving from Lake Como to Lauterbrunnen in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.