Swiss Travel Pass as e-pass vs plastic card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2017 at 21:42:11 #811847

We plan to purchase a 15 day travel pass for the month of August. Is there an advantage to having an e-pass rather than the plastic card they would mail to us? Would I just show the e-pass from my phone? Would I exchange my e-pass for a hard ticket when I arrived in Switzerland? Thank you for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 May 2017 at 6:21:38 #863428

Hi Sheree,

The Swiss Travel Pass is a paper ticket, not a plastic card. The only difference between a physically shipped pass and the e-pass is that the former is printed on slightly thicker paper, and the latter on regular printer paper you use at home.

The print at home pass (e-pass) is the best option. Delivery is faster (e-mail) and often cheaper, and you will have a backup in case you lose it as you can always print the PDF file again if needed. You also save time: you don’t have to go to a staffed ticket office in Switzerland to buy the pass, nor do you need to validate or exchange it. It’s ready to use so you can immediately board your first train upon arrival.

The purchase options are listed here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 15:33:30 #863429

Thank you for your quick response. We look forward to our days in your beautiful country.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass as e-pass vs plastic card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.