Eiger trail: snow in late June? Ropes needed?

• Lisa2018
    Participant
    2 posts
    19 August 2018 at 20:29:57 #817965

Hi!

We will be in Grindelwald in the last week of June next year. Is the Eiger trail usually hikeable at that time or is still snow-covered? Also, I have read some references to ropes being needed and other descriptions not mentioning it at all. What is the level of difficulty (we’re experienced day hikers but not used to ropes)? Thanks for any info you can provide.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    20 August 2018 at 17:05:06 #894569

The snow should be clear by then. Don’t do it if there is snow.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2018 at 17:14:27 #894570

Hi Lisa2018 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Indeed it isn’t a trail to try with snow. Most sites I’ve seen state opening dates of July to October and don’t do it unless it is officially open and safe. There are ropes to use for difficult sections. I haven’t done it myself but I understand they are there to help and not out of necessity. IE “difficult sections are secured with rope.”

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    20 August 2018 at 17:58:47 #894571

I have done the Eiger Trail from Eigergletcher to Alpiglen several times but not recently. I have never used ropes, but the trail near the Alpiglen Terminus can be a bit muddy, so ropes would be as side rails, not for climbing.It is mostly undulating and not steep as a rule. There are several rest stops where one can study the face for landmarks. At Alpiglen there is a restaurant outside with varieties of Kaeseschnitt (cheese toast but a misnomer). Great spot to stop, have a drink, and lunch/snack.

The no snow rule applies.

Lisa2018
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 August 2018 at 0:47:42 #894572

Thanks for the info, everyone! We will plan to arrive the last week of June (need to book flights, which is why I posed the question) and hope for the best. We are returning with our teenaged children who were too young for the Eiger trail the first time we were there.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    21 August 2018 at 1:32:50 #894573

There are never any ropes required on the Eiger Trail. Perhaps the references you have seen are for those that are climbing the North Face? That definitely requires ropes and then some! Only for super experienced and risk-taking climbers.

However, Eiger Trail typically does not open until at least first week of July due to snow pack. It is in the shadow of the North Face therefore snow melts much less quickly there than on other trails at similar elevations.

• The thread ‘Eiger trail: snow in late June? Ropes needed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.