Eurail Global Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2012 at 2:53:41 #805669

I have a Eurail global pass.
    I will be coming from Paris to Interlaken on 3 Nov 2012.

For going to my hotel, I will need to take train to Hasliberg from Interlaken then take a bus from thereon to Pension Staldacher.

I will be reaching Interlaken at 1:30pm and hopefully at the Pension at 3pm. What activities can be done same day? Or should I not go to the Pension and spend time in Interlaken and then go to Pension in the late evening? (What would be the last train/bus time to go there)

Secondly, I will spend next three days and intend to visit any three of the following sites (1 site per day): Jungfrau, Rigi, Titlis, Pilatus, Rhine Falls. Which three are more practical?

Thirdly, will the Eurail global pass cover my travels from Hasliberg to Interlaken station and onwards to any of the sites I want to visit? (can I directly take train to the sites from Hasliberg?).

If the Global pass does not cover this, then do you recommend I should take a Swiss pass? Do these sites like Jungfrau/Rigi/Titlis/Pilatus/Rhine falls have some sort of ticket amount? Will a Swiss pass save me cost to travel and visit these places?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 October 2012 at 6:34:45 #837365

Hi alirazafazal. You can download the validity network map at the Eurail Global Pass page to see what’s covered. Also check the link ‘Overview of discounts’ at the bottom of that page to get an overview of travel bonuses in Switzerland with your Eurail Global Pass. As you’ll see, most of your trips will be for free or discounted. Whether an additional Swiss rail pass is worth your money, should really be calculated based on an exact list of plans. This related topic may be of help here.

The timetable allows you to check traveling times to the destinations you have in mind and plan your trips, such as the latest connection from Interlaken to Hasliberg. In terms of traveling times, the Jungfraujoch and Pilatus are the most obvious choices. Titlis and the Rhine Falls take about the same time. Please note that you’ll be visiting in a period when maintenance can cause mountain transportation to shut down. You should check schedules at the Titlis and Pilatus websites to find out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2012 at 7:26:22 #837366

Thank you once again Annika.
    I checked out sbb site and calculated the costs based on the Eurail map showing rails covered. You are right, most of them seem to be free, with the last leg to Titlis or Rigi or Rhinefalls with discount. The max I need to pay will be for cable (since Interlaken-Brunig Hasliber-Lucern is closed till 5 Nov) and for bus.

Swiss saver four days is 226 for two people, I think my cost for 3-day trips with train travels covered will probably not exceed 150. Pilatus will be closed and from what I see from Sbb site, Rhienfalls is indeed far. So the best bet is a 1 day Jungfrau, 1 day Rigi (as you say Titlis is as far as Rhine) and 1 day roaming around Hasliberg Reuti/Meiringen area, I read on some forums there are some Falls nearby as well and some other activities like Alpen, etc.

Thanks for the links, they really helped! 🙂

• The thread ‘Eurail Global Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.