Experience of replacement buses due to rail works?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 9:03:27 #808678

I have just noticed when looking at the updated timetable Engelberg to Lucerne that there are going to be rail works near Hergiswil on the day of our return journey, 2nd April. They are laying on buses for the affected sections, annoyingly meaning we have to get on and off transport several times to reach Basel airport. This means we will have to leave Engelberg at least an hour early. My worry and my question is does anyone know whether they will send enough buses to accommodate the number of people who may have been on the train? I have visions of being refused entry to the bus with a knock-on effect of missing our flight.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 March 2016 at 11:56:55 #849631

Hi SallyW,

That’s a pity indeed. Generally such replacement transportation is very well organised though. There should be enough buses, information on how to change is provided and personnel will be there to help with the transfers and to answer questions. At least, that’s how things were organised the few times I’ve experienced replacement buses myself. If you feel like carrying along your luggage may be a inconvenient, you can look into the SBB’s luggage services.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 March 2016 at 20:32:26 #849632

Hi Sally W-

I can confirm Annika’s experiences. That has happened to me a few times, and, other than the delay, it has been quite well organized. I am sure that there will be plenty of capacity for all the passengers.

Luggage is a nuisance, but they can accommodate it on the bus or buses in various ways.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 23:40:11 #849633

Hi Sally

Try not to worry. The few times we have had to use a bus replacement service, everything went smoothly. There were staff on hand to direct us to a bus, (we didn’t have luggage as we were on a day excursion but other people did and had no problems). We assume the staff then phoned ahead to the rail station to let them know how many buses to expect as the train waited for them all to arrive.

When we are leaving Switzerland we usually send our luggage ahead to the airport so you could enquire about that at your departure rail station.

Have a great holiday.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2016 at 7:32:49 #849634

Thanks for the helpful replies. I feel a lot better about it now!

• The thread ‘Experience of replacement buses due to rail works?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.