Family of Five to be based in Zurich + Venice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2011 at 11:24:36 #804098

We are traveling with our three daughters (14 and under). We will be based in Zurich for 7 nights and plan to take day trips from Zurich. We would also like to travel to Venice and stay for 3 nights. Because of the kids, I think we need the Swiss Family Pass. How does that work with the trip to Venice, though? Any suggestions for day trips with girls (13, 11 and 7)? Seems like a lot will be closed while we are there – late March/early April. I’d love to go to a cheese and/or chocolate factory. Anything reasonably near Zurich? Any advice would be most appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7122 posts
    21 January 2011 at 8:06:15 #832113

Hello schellgirl! If you’ll be making rather short day trips from Zurich, your best option is most probably a Swiss Half Fare Card for the adults, which grants a 50% discount on regular tickets. You can order along a free STS Family Card for your daughters, which allows them to travel along for free with you on all trips in Switzerland. The Swiss Half Fare Card will also be valid for the Swiss part of your trip to Venice. This means that you’ll have to purchase 50% discounted tickets for the adults from Zurich to the Swiss border (your border station will be Chiasso if you pick the most direct train connection), and regular non-discounted tickets for all five travellers for the Italian part of the journey. You don’t have to switch trains at the border, all you have to do is show your Swiss Half Fare Card and discounted tickets at the Swiss leg of the journey, and the Italian tickets at the Italian leg. Such an international train trip requires seat reservation.

Some tips on spending your time in Zurich can be found in this previous topic. The Zurich Tourism website will help you out as well. Many day trips are listed here, including childrens’ activities. There’s a specialized chocolate shop in Zurich, but it’s also possible to visit the Schoggiland chocolate factory in Flawil, which is at a one hour train ride from Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2011 at 15:45:42 #832114

I am going to Venice after my Switzerland trip and found there is ONE morning train that goes direct with no changes from Geneva. I am picking it up in Brig. So if you get a train from Zurich to Geneva (you may want to spend the night in Geneva) take the EC37 train directly to Venice. Given that it involves almost 2 days of travel, though, you may want to fly.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 January 2011 at 2:20:57 #832115

The number of direct trains is limited indeed. But connections from Zurich to Venice with one change take just 6.5 hours and can be found in the timetable.

• The thread ‘Family of Five to be based in Zurich + Venice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.