Feedback on 5 day Switzerland Itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2014 at 21:29:14 #806416

Hello Everyone,
    Thank you for reading this post and providing you feedback in advance.

I will be visiting Switzerland in August for 5 days and 5 nights. I will be staying in Lucerne for 4 nights and 1 night in St Morritz or Lugano (haven’t decided) and then I will be going to Venice (Italy). I will be using the local transport (i.e. bus, trains, etc) throughout my trip. I have already booked the Swiss Pass for 4 days. Below is my plan so far:

Day 0 – Arrive in Lucerne by evening, visit old town at Lucerne
    Day 1 – Travel to Mount Rigi and Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlis, not sure if I can cover 2 things in one day. I want to undergo light travel and not make it very exhausting.
    Day 2 – Travel from Lucerne to Interlaken – Golden Pass line. Go to Jungfrau from Interlaken. Return back to Lucerne.

Option 1:
    Day 3 – Local sightseeing around Lucerne
    Day 4 – Since we will be in Lucerne, travel from Lucerne to Lucerne to Andermatt. Take the Glacier Express from Andermatt to St Morritz. Stay overnight in St Moritz.
    Day 5 – Take the Bernina Express from St Moritz to Tirano (Italy). Take the bus (from Tirano to Edolo) and train (Edolo to Venice) to reach Venice by evening.

Option 2:
    Day 3 – Travel from Lucerne to Andermatt. Take the Glacier Express from Andermatt to St Morritz. Stay overnight in St Moritz.
    Day 4 – Take the Bernina Express from St Moritz to Tirano. Take the bus from Tirano to Lugano. Stay overnight in Lugano.
    Day 5 – Local sightseeing in Lugano. Leave from Lugano – Milan – Venice (I believe the entire journey takes 4 hours).

Questions:
    1. Which of the two options should I take considering that I want to reach Venice by evening and I will be travelling with my luggage on the last day.
    2. In option 2, I will be travelling a lot and will not have any time for sight seeing in St Moritz and Lugano. Also, based on preliminary research the hotel prices are very high in St Moritz and Lugano. We are a group of 5 adults & 1 child. Can we find cheap rental apartments for 1 night in St Moritz and Lugano.

Thank you for your feedback,
    Devesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    5 June 2014 at 6:57:48 #840136

Hi Devesh,

1) I don’t know which of the trips is more convenient in Italy, but time-wise, it would be good to have an extra day in Lucerne (option 1) since there is so much to do there. If you travel every single day you have little time left to really explore the area.

2) Apartments are usually available by the week, not for one night. But there are budget hotels, even in St. Moritz. Our hotel selection is listed here and it also includes some cheap ones. More budget hotels are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hotels/budget

A trip from Lucerne to the Jungfraujoch is a very long one, and you need to be sure that the skies are clear. It could be cloudy by the time you reach the top, so pay close attention to the weather forecast.

Please note that a 4-day Swiss Pass is for traveling on consecutive days, a 4-day Swiss Flexi Pass can be used on non-consecutive days.

I hope this was useful. Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Feedback on 5 day Switzerland Itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.