First Swiss trip – Good time during end of October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2016 at 22:08:45 #810211

Hello voyager’s,

we are 5 friends planning for 3-4 days swiss trip – visiting Interlaken, Jungfru and Rhine Falls.Below is my tentative plan with short description, please feel free to comment on improving my plan with budget recommendations. Also request you to answer couple of questions below

day 1 – Plan is to Pick car at Zurich airport in the morning and reach Rhine falls , after Rhine falls visit drive to interlaken to reach by night and stay at hotel.

day 2 – Park car at Interlaken and Jungru visit taking a round trip via Grindelwald Grund or Lauterbrunnen and back to hotel

day 3 : Interlaken sightseeing and drive to Olten for night stay at my friends place 🙂 and to a airport next day morning.

Questions

1.Is it good time to travel during end of October and specially views in Interlaken and Jungfru.

2. How about road trip compared to rail trip. I have read some recommendations on half price rail tickets for discounts on mountain rail tickets. help me with budget recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 October 2016 at 7:23:58 #856458

Hi sgundeti,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Late October is low season, but it won’t be a problem for your plans. You will need good weather, and thus some luck as that can’t be predicted. It can be either clear and sunny or rainy. Tips to save money are listed here.

2. I would not rent a car for this trip. There is no advantage to it as all your destinations are easy to reach by train. You would need a fairly large (expensive) car for 5 people and luggage. This page might be helpful: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

With Swiss Half Fare Cards you would get 50% off all train (and other transport) tickets. The 3-day Swiss Travel Pass is another option. There is a discounted Youth version if you are under 26.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 October 2016 at 0:13:27 #856459

Hi Sgundeti –

Everyone has their own opinions, but, waterfalls are not unique to Switzerland. The high Alps are not common in the rest of the world…;-) There is only one Jungfrau.

Personally, if I were making the trip, I’d skip the Rheinfalls and spend more time in the Jungfrau region, or, perhaps, go there via Luzern.

More time in the Jungfrau region is good in case there is bad weather ( high clouds) on the day you wish to ascend the Jungfrau.

Luzern is has more varied attractions than the Rhine Falls:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘First Swiss trip – Good time during end of October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.