Rigi/Pilatus/Titlis on first trip to Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2018 at 6:56:01 #819183

Hi,

I am going to Switzerland for the first time and had bought the 3-day Swiss travel pass. I am staying in Lucerne and is planning to do a mountain excursion trip from Lucerne. I have read online and can’t seem to decide which mountain to visit as a day trip; Rigi, Pilatus or Titlis. I don’t think time is much of a concern since we will have the whole day to do the trip. Which mountain should I pick if I have a preference for scenic natural beauty? I understand that in December pretty much everywhere will be covered in snow, but that in itself is a sight.

As an additional information, I also plan to visit Schilthorn. Do you think its a good idea to spend my 3 days in Switzerland visiting two mountains, or is the time better spent visiting a city like Bern? Much thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2018 at 11:15:42 #900383

Hi pricillias and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Indeed it can be tricky choosing between mountains in Switzerland – but I’m sure whichever you choose you will enjoy.

Most towns will not be covered in snow at their lower elevations but the mountains will.

If you’d like to read more about the mountains to help you decide look here:

Pilatus offers a nice view over Lake Lucerne and Lucerne itself. Rigi has more hiking and walking trails and Titlis is by far the highest of all 4 at over 3000 meters (with a glacier on-site).

Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trips to each mountain from your base in Lucerne to see travel times – that may help you decide as well!

Everyone is different in wanting to spend all their time in the mountains, some of their time or none of their time. I can’t say you personally would enjoy Bern (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn) more than Pilatus.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 December 2018 at 9:38:40 #900384

Hi Priscillias – indeed, it is tough to chose.

I think Lucas forgot to include this link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

That introductory page is quite helpful.

The direct link, once you have looked at that page with tips and tricks, is:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/

Of the three mountains, Titlis is the most likely to fill a day. It is the farthest away.

If you like walking/hiking, the Rigi is not so “extreme” a mountain, is not as high, and has trails and a variety of hotels and restaurants at different places. Might or might have snow on the trails when you are there. I often stay at Rigi Kaltbad, partway up, where the cableway to/from Weggis connects with the cog-rail train to/from Vitznau/Rigi Kulm.

The top stations on the mountains are at the “Kulm” a word related to the English “culmination.”

Pilatus is a very steep, rocky mountain with only a fairly small are at the top, but some things to see/do at cableway stop/s on the way up or down. If the cog-rail train is running on your dates, it is a special part of the trip. May be closed in December, but the cableway from Kriens will be open if the cog-rail is not.

Images attached may help a bit.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Rigi/Pilatus/Titlis on first trip to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.