Flexipass vs Half Card during 6 week stay.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2012 at 20:07:53 #805362

I would truly appreciate your opinion on Swiss Rail Passes for an upcoming trip to Switzerland.

I am traveling to Europe for 6 weeks. I will be in Switzerland on/off for during this time (I have family there). We will also be visiting two other countries during our stay but always come back to Switzerland: Switzerland, Italy, Switzerland, France, Switzerland. I looked at a Eurail pass but it did not make sense for me.

The problem I have when looking at Swiss passes is that most are limited to one month and I am there on/off for six weeks.

I am trying to decide between the Half Fare Card and Swiss Flexipass.

I am traveling as a single adult with two children under twelve.

HALF FARE CARD

If I buy the Half Fare Card I would have to purchase a ONE YEAR pass for $171 since I am in and out of the country for so long.

By my calculations (from sbb.ch) – for trips planned while in Switzerland I would spend about $235 on half fare tickets. For a total of $406 ($171+235),

FLEXIPASS

I estimate doing about 6 days of longer train travel during my stay in Switzerland. I could buy a 4 day flexi pass for $284 (under 2-1 promo – it is more expensive if I price out one traveler – go figure) to cover my most expensive days. From what I understand, I can use the Flexi on other days and get 50% off. I am assuming I tell them at the train station if I am using one of my four “travel days”. From my best guess I save about $50 under this option. This pass, however, is only good for ONE month – I do get worried that if I travel outside my one month window I will pay full fare on some tickets, so I could lose this savings.

ALSO – DO BOTH CARDS WORK ON HALF OFF FARES FOR MOUNTAIN TRAINS, LIFTS, etc. We will be in Interlaken and Zermatt for a few days.

Any insight on what I should do would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 June 2012 at 11:56:53 #836409

Hi tcatgm. I think the 1 year Half-Fare Travelcard would be the best option. CHF 171 seems to be expensive, but I think it’s worth it as it allows you to travel with a 50% discount throughout Switzerland during your entire stay. The validity area is the same as with the 1 month Swiss Half Fare Card, and it indeed includes many mountain railways, cable cars and urban transportation in larger cities. You can get a Junior Travelcard for your children, allowing them to travel along for free.

• The thread ‘Flexipass vs Half Card during 6 week stay.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.