flight advice from st louis mo to interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2014 at 3:21:32 #806619

I’m planning a hiking trip for 2015. Will be traveling via air from the United States/St. Louis, MO. What airline should I take ? We’re thinking about setting up “home base” in Interlaken and/or Grindelwald. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated…flights and hiking. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    2 September 2014 at 17:10:55 #840979

What time of year are you going? Makes a big difference.

If you are going during summer season (mid-June to end September) I suggest that you re-consider your pick of bases. Interlaken is a large, very touristy town that is a good place to change trains but that’s about it. It is full of tacky shops, fast food restaurants, tour busses, and large groups being herded around. It is not on a lake nor in the mountains (although on a clear day you can see a mountain from there). Grindelwald is a bit better but is also very busy with traffic and tour groups. There is also a large construction project going on in the middle of town that has a huge part of the village torn up and reducing traffic to one lane (with the resulting traffic jams) It may be done by summer 2015 but it has already been going on for at least a year and doesn’t yet look close.

Instead, consider the lovely car-free villages of either Mürren or Wengen. The views are jaw-dropping, they are far less busy, and will give you the quintessential Swiss mountain feel. You can’t go wrong with either, we prefer Wengen. It is a bit larger therefor has a wider selection of amenities — more restaurants, food shops etc.

For ideas on hikes and other things, please see the document I authored that moderator Arno has kindly posted here in a series of PDFs. http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

As for airline, take whichever one flies into Zurich. Air Canada, US Airways, United, and a list of others do. Suggest you start by loading a trip into a search engine (like Expedia or YAPTA) and see what results you get. You won’t find any non-stops from STL but look for flights with only one change. Then buy based on price and convenience, time-wise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2014 at 18:09:41 #840980

Thanks soooooo much Kim. Will definitely take your advice. I’m still very much in the early planning stages. I’ll read the documents you’ve written. Thanks again.

• The thread ‘flight advice from st louis mo to interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.