Free reservations to Jungfraujoch & more discounts

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2018 at 6:39:36 #897304

Hi JHStubbs,

The Swiss Travel Pass doesn’t fully cover most mountain transport. Jungfraujoch, for example, is discounted 25% with the STP from either Wengen or Grindelwald. You can see routes covered (and mountains) on our Swiss Travel Pass validity page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

This promotion is for free reservations which is different than a ticket.

The train reservation to Jungfraujoch is only available from Kleine Scheidegg. If you have a reservation though they will make sure you are on the appropriate connection (from either Wengen or Grindelwald).

If you aren’t familiar with the routes to Jungfraujoch look on our page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

You can buy a ticket at Bern station for the entire trip (which is free until Wengen or Grindelwald, so they would sell you a ticket for Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch at the 25% discount. Your Swiss Travel Pass is your ticket from Bern to either of those towns.

Naddy
    Participant
    13 posts
    2 November 2018 at 5:17:50 #897305

Hi Arno/Lucas,

There’s a start date when you want to buy the Swiss travel pass combine with the Jungfrau pass. I do want to take advantage of the promo but I intend to put a different start date for both passes. Does it matter? Do I have to adhere to the start dates? My start date for Swiss pass will be 10 Dec and start date for Jungfrau pass will be on the 6 Dec(depends on the weather condition). The rest of the dates, I’ll use a Swiss half fare pass.

And do I have to choose the routes as well?

Thanking the both of you in advance.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 November 2018 at 8:10:18 #897306

Hi Naddy,

You wrote “Jungfrau pass”, do you mean the Jungfrau Travel Pass or the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass or a ticket to Jungfraujoch? This promotion is only for the combined purchase of the Swiss Travel Pass and a ticket to Jungfraujoch. I think the date matters but I’ll double check once I hear back from you.

Apart from the above, buying a Swiss Half Fare Card and a Swiss Travel Pass is rarely the cheapest option. It’s usually one or the other. If it works for your plans it is fine of course. Did you do the math to make sure?

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Naddy
    Participant
    13 posts
    2 November 2018 at 9:35:43 #897307

Hi Arno,

The Jungfraujoch pass refers to the cogwheel train to Jungfraujoch( current promo).

My itinerary is as follows:

4 Dec – Check in to my accomodation at Interlaken West area.

5 Dec – Explore Grindelwald/Bussalp/First

6 Dec – 1 day to Jungraujoch

7 Dec – Lauterbrunnen (waterfall) , Wengen

8 Dec – Murren, Schilthorn

9 Dec – Explore Gstaad maybe

10 Dec – Montreux (Chateau de Chillon)

11 Dec – Zermatt (hope I get to see the beautiful Matterhorn)

12 Dec – Zurich (Rheinfall & St Gallen rococo)

4-9 Dec

As I would be exploring around the region, I was thinking of getting a Swiss half fare. I cannot buy the Jungfrau hiking and sledging pass because of the dates. My dates are too early.

10-12 Dec

As I would be going to other regions, a 3 days Swiss travel pass makes more sense.

Is my itinerary doable, Arno??

That is why I was thinking of buying the 3days STP, Jungfraujoch ticket and Swiss Half fare. I will be travelling with my husband, 3 kids and a toddler. It can be quite challenging and unpredictable due to the weather and my kids. 😀

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2018 at 10:28:02 #897308

Would also love to know the answer.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 November 2018 at 17:37:36 #897309

Hi Naddy and Princessmary,

I checked this, and the Jungfraujoch ticket date doesn’t need to be within the period of validity of the Swiss Travel Pass. But you must buy them together. I updated my original post, so you can read it there as well.

Naddy, I understand you thoughts after seeing your itinerary (which is doable, but of course you don’t now what the weather will be like). Personally I’d compare that option to simply using the Swiss Half Fare Card the entire time, just to make sure your option is indeed cheaper. The last link in my previous post helps you with that if you want to do this.

Naddy
    Participant
    13 posts
    3 November 2018 at 6:45:40 #897310

Hi Arno,

Thank you very much for the informative and speedy reply.

Another thing that makes me wonder. What if I type the Start Date : 6 Dec for the Jungfraujoch ticket BUT due to the bad weather, I have decided not to go Jungfraujoch on that day? Is my ticket still valid if I decide to go Jungfraujoch on the 9th Dec?? As i n the Start Date differs from the Actual Date.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 November 2018 at 7:55:01 #897311

Hi Naddy,

Glad to help! The Jungfraujoch ticket is only valid for the date printed on it. I’m not sure what happens if you go to a ticket desk at the station with an unused ticket and ask to exchange it for another date. It may or may not work. Either way you’d have to try this before the date on the ticket, so no later than December 5 in your example.

Naddy
    Participant
    13 posts
    3 November 2018 at 9:13:56 #897312

Noted with thanks.

Thank you and may God bless you always, Arno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2018 at 0:48:18 #897313

Hi Arno,

I am interested in getting the promotion you mentioned. I will definitely be getting the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass. However I am still slightly confused about the ticket to Jungfraujoch.

1.I will be traveling to Jungfraujoch, so the route I should be selecting is ‘Grindelwald – Grindelwald’?

2. After selecting Grindelwald-Grindelwald as the route in in shop.switzerlandtravel centre.com/#/en/produc t/excursionJungfrau. it shows the cost as CHF 164 (without any discount). However, as seen from the price chart in http://www.jungfrau.ch/filead min/Prospekte_und_Bros chueren/Jungfraubahnen _Fahrpreise_Preisliste .pdf, it seems that the cost of travel from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch (via Kleine Scheidegg) is only CHF 95. Am I missing any other cost?

3. Since we wouldn’t know the weather condition during that day, is it advisable on buying the ticket in shop.switzerlandtravel centre.com/#/en/produc t/excursionJungfrau since it is tied to a specific date? I intend to visit Jungfraujoch on 18th Dec, but am not sure whether to reserve the tickets now.

Thank you in advance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2018 at 9:37:34 #897314

Hi eugeneteng and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Correct, if you want to return back to Grindelwald. Some people travel back via Wengen to get the full round-trip but it takes longer obviously. 🙂
    2. It seems to be giving you the lowest season price (which is supposed to end Dec. 8). 95chf is the one-way price which should be charged.
    3. Yes, this is the tough decision. If you only want to go in sunny, clear weather then either buying on the day of travel or a day or so before may be best. Some people love the trip up regardless of the weather and will go in poorer weather anyway.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2018 at 11:35:43 #897315

Thanks Lucas for your prompt response!

Please help me clarify the following:

I read that for Swiss Travel Pass holders going to Jungfraujoch “Train to Grindelwald or Wengen: free”. Does it mean that the trip from Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald is free?

Also, if like what you suggested, buying the ticket to Jungfraujoch on the day of travel or day before, will I still be eligible for this promotion? My concern is the time interval between the purchases since I will be purchasing the Swiss Travel Pass in few days.

Thank you!

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 November 2018 at 13:15:26 #897316

Hi Eugene,

No, it’s all route based, not direction based. So you can reach either of those village for free, then up and down to Jungfraujoch is discounted. If you zoom in on this map you can see it in detail: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

The free seat reservations are only offered by the website mentioned here in this thread, so you will have to buy your pass and ticket from them in order to qualify. I was told though, that if you buy your pass first and the ticket later you will get the free seat reservations as well (if they can see that you’re the same customer). However, don’t postpone this until the last day as I don’t know how quickly you’ll get the reservation promo code.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2018 at 17:34:19 #897317

Yes, the comment “to Grindelwald or Wengen: Free” indicates travel to those towns from outside the region is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Continuing on to Jungfraujoch from either town is then discounted 25% (both directions).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2018 at 23:36:04 #897318

Thanks Arno and Lucas for the clarification!

Guess I will have to decide whether it’s a risk worth taking to book before knowing the weather. Anyway how long do people usually spend at the Jungfraujoch. As for snow fun park, do I just have to purchase the ticket for the activity I want to do? Or do I have to purchase a ski pass as well?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2018 at 7:30:55 #897319

There is a link for more details on the snow fun park on our Jungfraujoch page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch (more on other websites).

It is not open in the winter. Seems counter-intuitive I know. But skiing etc is available instead.

Most people spend 2-3 hours on any mountain top I would say.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2018 at 11:10:44 #897320

Thanks Lucas for all the information! This forum has definitely helped me a lot in planning for the trip. Can’t wait!

Naddy
    Participant
    13 posts
    30 November 2018 at 7:25:45 #897321

Hi All,

Thank you for your help in answering my queries.

I had bought and printed my 8 days Swiss pass and tickets to Jungfraujoch, using this current promotion.

Problem is when I want to make a reservation(voucher code given) to Jungfraujoch, an error message appears. Error message : Unfortunately, there was an error when updating or processing your order. Do you have a solution to this?

Another problem is that the Swiss Travel Ctr is having a problem with the Swiss Coupon Pass and the new digital version is not available at the moment. I was surprised with the digital voucher expiry date-30th Nov 2018. Hence, they are asking me for my address in Switzerland. I cannot give them the apartment address as my host did not allow me to. He suggested me to get the Swiss Travel Ctr to mail my booklet at the Interlaken Post Office. Question : Can they mail my item to the post office? And can I collect my booklet once I arrived in Interlaken next Tuesday?

Thanks a million in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2018 at 19:18:17 #897322

Hi Naddy,

A bit odd that the property owner won’t let you send mail there…but you could probably send to Interlaken post office (I would think).

However this should be confirmed with the Swiss Travel Center (as well as with the Coupon book which may just be a short term website error).

It sounds like you are already in contact with them but if not see details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outus/partners/sbb

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2018 at 15:14:03 #897323

Hi Lucas, I have made the booking of Swiss Travel Pass and the tickets to Jungfraujoch. Will the confirmation be sent in 3 days as promised? I am flying soon and I am afraid that it will not reach on time as I have to print them before the trip. I have tried contacting them through email but have not receive any response yet.

Thank you.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 164 total)
  • The thread ‘Free reservations to Jungfraujoch & more discounts’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.