From Brazil to Swiss Alps, 10 days based in Zurich

• Barberini
    Participant
    4 posts
    23 April 2016 at 19:23:53 #808995

Hello,

My name is Luiz and I´m heading to Switzerland nex May,20th, for 10 days. Will be based in Zurich, so all visits will be by train, leaving and returning same day.

One of the points I want to see is Jungfraujorf , an the other is Matterhorn.

How can I leave Zurich early in the morning and reach these two objectives and return Zurich? Of course , in different days.

Tks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 April 2016 at 12:51:40 #851158

Thanks for posting, and welcome Luiz!

Is there any way you can change your base? Zurich is not in the mountains and very far from many tourist attractions, including the two you intend to visit. You can find train schedules in the timetable, just to get an idea about how long it would take to reach Jungfraujoch and Zermatt (near the Matterhorn).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 April 2016 at 2:19:52 #851159

Hi Luiz –

As Arno noted, Zürich is not the best base for a tourist in Switzerland.

For a ten day trip you could have two or three bases effectively.

And Zürich is not the cheapest place to stay….

On the other hand, if you have specific goals in Zürich (museums, the Tonhalle, etc.) and also want to see things that you know about in northeast Switzerland, such as St. Gallen, Stein am Rhein, the Rhine Falls, and even including some of central Switzerland ( Luzern), Zürich could be a reasonable base.

http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo

http://www.myswissalps.com/ge ttingstarted

Can you alter your location for sleeping?

Interlaken or nearby could be a reasonable base for your stated interests.

Slowpoke

Barberini
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 April 2016 at 19:56:26 #851160

Dear Arno,

Thank you for your attentious answer. I’m affraid can’t move hotel by now. Probably will have to deal with long train journeys.

Best,

Luiz Barberini

Barberini
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 April 2016 at 19:58:02 #851161

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for your answer. As mentioned before, I’m affraid can’t move hotel by now. Probably will have to deal with long train journeys. But will check carefully on your hints .

Best,

Luiz Barberini

Barberini
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 April 2016 at 20:01:52 #851162

<Removed by moderator>

valmiralme
    Participant
    1 post
    25 April 2016 at 20:18:56 #851163

Mr. Luiz good evening,

Me and my wife was made a trip to Switzerland in 2015 – July, from Brasil to London and Zurich by British Airways.

Start one day in Zurich just for sleeping in a Ibis Budget Zurich Airport, and the second destination was Lucern stay in a Ibis too for 2 days, and Berna for 2 days in a Central hotel (I don’t remember exactly the name now), from Berna to Interlaken and visit Jungfrau for a day, and Montreaux for 4 days in a Golf Hotel Rene Capt (visiting Lavaux, Vivey, Laussane and Geneve) and for 2 days in Ticino at Lugano in a IBIS Budget Paradiso and finish in Zurich for 2 days in a Limmatquai Hotel.

The main rail point for all Switzerland, in my opinion is Lucern, if you see all the trip start and finish or is by these point.

The time trip is not so long, the rail service is in high velocity, we don’t have similar here in Brazil.

I bought a first class swiss-pass for 15 days and make my trip in ralway, boats , trans and Bus (only have bus service in cities and isn’t the best way).

I love these vacation time.

If you want more information, I’m here to Assist You.

Valmir Almenara

Sorocaba/SP/BR

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 April 2016 at 8:36:37 #851164

Thanks for sharing your trip plan Valmir. Feel free to post a new thread in the Trip Reports forum as well. I’m sure your tips will be useful for other travelers!

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 April 2016 at 8:41:41 #851165

Hi Luiz,

In that case I’d recommend a combination of some nearby destinations like Slowpoke mentioned, and some longer day trips to visit the Alps as well. The suggestions at myswissalps.com/ zurich/activities might also come in handy. Be sure to check the timetable so you know how long things take. With a Swiss Travel Pass, a lot of trips are included, so money wise the longer trips are no issue. It’s just a matter of time.

• The thread ‘From Brazil to Swiss Alps, 10 days based in Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.