From Switzerland to Germany

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2014 at 13:22:25 #806681

Hi, I am planning to visit these 2 countries in june 2015. Will stay in Switzerland for 5 days and 9 days in Germany. I would like to know if I buy a Swiss travel pass and a germany pass, do I have to buy another ticket to get across 2 countries ?

Also, as I know that Swiss travel pass will replace Swiss pass starting from 2015, do the 2 passes generally get the same function,eg all transportation in Switzerland and 50%off for trains to Jungfrau?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 October 2014 at 4:49:39 #841210

Hi chritwing,

You don’t need more tickets if you have a pass for both countries. The train you choose may require a seat reservation, but that’s always the case, regardless of the pass/tickets you will have.

You can consider these passes:

Which combination is best depends on your travel plans. See here for help choosing.

As far as we know now, there will be no changes to the mountain transport discounts offered by the new Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Pass offers 50% off, with the expection of the Jungfraujoch trip: that one is free to Wengen or Grindelwald and 25% off from there. I don’t think this will change, but details like this are not official yet. Please watch this post for more information to come (you can subscribe to it in order to get an e-mail if new information is posted).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2014 at 9:24:31 #841211

Thanks a lot for your information !

As I have tried to book a ticket online for switzerland to germany, there is a reduction for me to choose, but there isn’t a choice for Swiss pass, so Ijust try to click GA subscription, but the outcome is no offer can be shown. Can you suggest what I should click instead or I have done anything wrong?

Thanks!

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 October 2014 at 10:55:48 #841212

Hi chritwing,

Tickets can only be booked 3 months (sometimes 2) before the travel date. You’d better wait until then and see if there are any offers on the rail pass(es) you intend to buy, and just buy the ticket along with it. That way you only have one order for everything you need.

You seem to have tried to book the ticket to Germany on the SBB website, but you can’t order like that because the “GA” you see there offers discounted traveling on the German leg of the trip whereas the Swiss Pass does not (see here). So you would not get the correct ticket. It’s easier to order it along with the pass as explained above, from your local reseller in Hong Kong here. They offer the ticket for Swiss Pass holders, which is the one you need. Also they offer payment in your own currency (HKD).

My advice is to check back here on our site a few months before you travel and check out the pass options, promotions and tickets by then.

• The thread ‘From Switzerland to Germany’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.