Preview Swiss Travel System rail passes for 2015

• Arno
    15471 posts
    12 September 2014 at 12:35:14 #803685

Hello train travelers,

Please find below the major changes for the Swiss Travel System rail passes in 2015:

• The Swiss Pass will be renamed to “Swiss Travel Pass“. It will be available for 3, 4, 8 and 15 consecutive days. The passes for 22-days and 1-month, and the Saver formula, will be discontinued. The regular prices will be at the level of the former Saver prices (slightly more). Thus, the pass is going to be cheaper for solo travelers.
    • The Swiss Flexi Pass will be renamed to “Swiss Travel Pass Flex“. It will be available for 3, 4, 8 or 15 days within one month. The 5- and 6-days passes will be discontinued. Similar to the Swiss Travel Pass, the Saver formula will be discontinued.
    • The Swiss Half Fare Card will be available at a 50% discount if combined with a Swiss Transfer Ticket or Swiss Travel Pass Flex. The standard price will remain unchanged.
    • The Swiss Card and Swiss Peak Pass will be discontinued.
    • There will be cheaper Youth versions of both the Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

With two passes less to choose from, we feel that the new set of passes makes it slightly easier for travelers to decide what to buy. It’s a pity that the Swiss Pass for longer periods will no longer be available, but the combination of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex and Swiss Half Fare Card will be a good alternative for most travelers.

All of the above goes into effect on January 1, 2015. Passes purchased in 2014 for traveling in 2015 will remain valid, probably until March 31, 2015. Your reseller will inform you if there are any consequences for your trips.

For all the details about the new passes, please see here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissrailpasses

I wish you beautiful journeys in 2015!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 October 2014 at 17:43:34 #841051

All details about the new passes are now available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissrailpasses

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2014 at 18:14:45 #841052

Hi Arno and Annika, I usually purchase my Swiss Pass early as soon as our accommodation is booked and did so again this year in September before news of these changes came through. I ordered and paid for a 1st class Swiss Saver Pass for 1 month. (mid-July to mid-August) The page you directed us to says and I quote “The Swiss Travel Pass replaces the Swiss Pass as of January 1, 2015. There will be a transition period during the first months of 2015: Swiss Passes sold in 2014 will be valid in 2015.” Do you think that this means that I will receive the Pass I ordered before knowing these changes would take place. Maggie

Annika
    7094 posts
    28 October 2014 at 19:46:06 #841053

Hi Maggie,

The “old” passes will be valid for traveling until March 31. Since you will travel after that, you will need a new pass. You will be contacted by the Swiss Railways with an alternative solution. I’m not sure when they will reach out to you; it could be early next year.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2014 at 20:11:07 #841054

Thanks Annika, I was afraid you would say that as I am really not sure what to choose instead and it’s going to cost us quite a lot more by the look of it. For the equivalent to the pass I ordered we may need 2 individual passes each for 15 days – that’s 4 passes all together instead of one!! Not good news. Maggie

Annika
    7094 posts
    28 October 2014 at 20:39:44 #841055

Hi Maggie,

Well, two Swiss Travel Passes of 15 days each will indeed be much more expensive than an “old style” Swiss Saver Pass of one month. The alternative they created for long stays is the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex, combined with a discounted Swiss Half Fare Card. That combination gives you 15 days of free traveling within one month, and 50% discounted tickets on tickets for trips on the days in between.

Anyway, for 2015 I assume you don’t have to make that decision yet. You’ve already paid for a one month Swiss Saver Pass, so the Swiss Railways need to come up with an alternative for you. Let’s see what they will offer. Note that the new Swiss Travel Pass prices are not much different from the old Swiss Saver Pass prices; there’s just a slight inflation correction. The main disadvantage in your case is that they discontinued the longer duration passes, and two shorter period passes are always more expensive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2014 at 23:50:08 #841056

Thanks Annika, I guess I will have to wait and see what they offer me as you say. The alternative combination really wouldn’t suit our style of spontaneous decision-making – I could foresee situations where we would waste a free travel day if something happened to alter our plans after we had activated a free day but couldn’t take proper advantage of it. Anyway no point in worrying till they get in touch. By the way sorry I have high-jacked your information thread! I should have started a fresh one, so please feel free to move my posts if you need to. I will let you know what happens. Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2014 at 3:47:20 #841057

Dear Arno / Annika,

Good day to you. May I know what is the cost for Swiss Travel Pass Promotions (from 2015)? I will be going with hubby in end April 2015 and plan to get 2nd class 8 days Swiss Travel Pass. Is the cost increase compare with the Swiss Pass and any changes on the benefits offer by the new & old pass?

Is travelling to Mt Rigi, Grutschalp, Murren, Gimmelwald, Stechelberg, Boat trip @ Lake Brienz + Giessbach Falls & Boat trip @ Lake Thun + Beatenbucht + cog railway to Beatenberg still FOC?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Aodreen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2014 at 3:51:32 #841058

And will i get 10% discount for 2 to travel together? Thanks

Regards,

Aodreen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2014 at 11:15:42 #841059

We are flying to Zurich to ski in Murren in April 2015 – i cannot find anywhere te most economical way to travel by train from Zurich to Murren (return) – does the Swiss Pass give any discount off ski passes during our stay?

Annika
    7094 posts
    11 December 2014 at 14:11:22 #841060

Hi aodreen,

Prices are listed on the Swiss Travel Pass page. In early January, all resellers will have announced their prices for the pass, so you may want to check back there by then. The page also explains all about what’s included and how the pass works. As for free and discounted rides there are no changes that I know of.

The Saver formula (10% off) will no longer be offered, but the pass will not be more expensive because everyone will pay the same price now (see Arno’s original post).

Annika
    7094 posts
    11 December 2014 at 14:21:20 #841061

Hi jamestroup,

The Swiss Transfer Ticket is your cheapest option for the trip to Mürren and back. Whether that’s the best choice for your holidays depends on what else you plan to do while there. Ski lifts are not included in any of the rail passes. But the major cable cars are discounted (or sometimes free) with a pass. You can download the map from the Swiss Travel Pass page to see what’s included. Here’s explained how to choose the right rail pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2014 at 17:34:57 #841062

Rail Europe told me if I purchase a Swiss Saver Pass before the end of December, I will have 6 months to validate it. Your site says it will be valid only until the end of March. My husband and I will be visiting Switzerland in June. I would like to take advantage of the “saver” option by purchasing the pass now, but do not want to puchase it and find out it is not valid when we get to Switzerland. Can you advise?

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 December 2014 at 18:00:24 #841063

Hi Travelfan,

Swiss Saver Passes sold directly through the Swiss railways will be valid until March 31, 2015. That’s the only date I got confirmed so far. I will double check with Rail Europe and get back to you. Their Swiss Saver Passes may very well be valid until 6 months after purchasing, like they normally are.

Note that you don’t save that much by buying now. The prices in US dollars for the new Swiss Travel Passes are yet to be announced (we’ll publish them here as soon as they are), but there should not be a difference of more than a few dollars. That’s because the old Saver prices will be the regular prices in 2015; they’re just not called Saver anymore (see my original post).

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 December 2014 at 18:22:45 #841064

Hi again Travelfan,

RailEurope US confirmed that their passes can be validated up to 6 months after purchase, as normal. So you can buy now for traveling in June if you want. Please see here for all the 2014 purchase options of the Swiss Pass.

• The thread ‘Preview Swiss Travel System rail passes for 2015’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.