General taxi service in Switzerland

• Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    9 November 2021 at 15:41:48 #826261

My husband and I will be spending a long vacation this winter near Thun as our base. We will be strictly using public transportation and we plan to travel all over the place. We are very familiar with Switzerland, but my question is: Is there a general taxi service that we can call in case we are stuck somewhere or miss the last bus? Or would we have to know ahead of time the number for a taxi service in a particular area? What if we are in a more rural area? I understand a taxi might not get us all the way back to Thun, but at least to a hotel. I don’t think Switzerland has a service like Uber in all parts of the country. I also understand that taxis can be very expensive, but worth it if needed! Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

juluftravel
    Participant
    20 posts
    9 November 2021 at 17:57:23 #937410

Hi Gailannski,

The last time when I was in Switzerland, I used Uber. You can download the Uber apps on your phone before you leave. Make sure you set up your credit card payment detail on the Uber apps. Because in Switzerland, Uber dont accept cash. It is very efficient and reasonable. If youre in a more rural area and might not have Uber. I suggest that you download another apps ( RideGuru track ). This apps will help you track which taxis are avaliable in that areas. Or you can call Bahnhof Taxi in Thun (+41 33 221 88 88 ). Or you can download Hannk mobility app. Taxis, are all available on the Hannk app any where in the world. Book and pay on the app, find your nearest taxi or just look for the best price on your airport transfer or any location you want. , Hannk will track the position of your driver or show you where to meet – it is all in your hands with the Hannk app for Thun in Switzerland.

Enjoy your long vacation.

Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    9 November 2021 at 18:27:44 #937411

Wow that is great information! I will definitely check into those apps. I do have Uber for the USA and I’ll make sure I have it for Switzerland too. The other apps sound great. Perfect. 🙂

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 November 2021 at 20:23:48 #937412

Hi Gailannski,

Taxis in Switzerland are considered one of the most expensive in Europe. But if you really need to use them, there’s Uber but I don’t think it’s widely available in Thun.

There’s a local ride-sharing app called Go! I haven’t tried it but it might be useful to download just in case you need to use it.

go-app.ch/en/

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘General taxi service in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.