Geneva -Grindewald – Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2011 at 14:58:28 #804352

Hi,
    I am planning to travel with my family (there will be 7 adults and a 5 year old) After a long trip around France, we will be taking the train from Avignon to Geneva and stay in Switzerland for 4 days and head back to London via Geneva. Our Itinerary are as follows.

Day 1: Arrive Geneva from Avignon , overnight in Geneva

Day 2: Geneva to Grindewald. Instead of the normal train, I heard we could take a panoramic train (Golden Pass) so Geneva to Montreux, take the Golden Pass route to go to Zweissimen and end up in Interlaken. From Interlaken will change train to go to Grindewald. Is this possible and recommended?Thinking of staying in Grindewald overnight

Day 3: From Grindewald go up to Jungfraujoh in the morning and explore for a day back to Grindewald as base?

Day 4: Grindewald back to Geneva in time to catch our flight

As this is the last leg of our 15 day trip around Europe, did not want to cram too much. I am just worried that there are other sights we are missing. We have been to Lucerne previously so we could skip that. I am planning to get the half fare card since I think it is better value than the other passes.

thanks so much in advance. This forum is a gem.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 June 2011 at 6:35:09 #833000

Hi innahvee,

It looks like a good itinerary for a 4 day stay. You can indeed travel via the Golden Pass route: Geneva – Montreux – Zweisimmen – Spiez – Interlaken – Grindelwald. I would certainly recommend that. The timetable lets you plan that trip. If you do travel via the Golden Pass, the Swiss Half Fare Card is indeed the best option. Otherwise, the Swiss Card would be cheaper. As the Swiss Card requires you to take the quickest or shortest route from Geneva to Grindelwald, it can not be used in this case.

If you have time, you could travel via Spiez – Kandersteg – Goppenstein – Brig – Montreux on the way back. That’s a beautiful route as well (especially the local train between Spiez and Brig).

• The thread ‘Geneva -Grindewald – Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.