Geneva – Ticino 16 days Sept itinerary feedback

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2017 at 16:16:39 #812701

Dear all,

I’m planning a solo 16 day trip through Switzerland. Starting from Geneva – Montreux – Bern – Kandersteg- Bettmeralp – Lauterbrunnen – Grindelwald – Brienz- Luzern – Zurich – Locarno

I have attached my itinerary and the various activities planned for each day. Would appreciate your feedback please.

I would say its action packed. I didn’t factor in any ‘rest days’ or ‘bad weather days’ but the 1st 4 days will be quite ok , general sightseeing before the physical activity of hiking and via ferrata once i reach Kandersteg. Also pretty flexible on the itinerary. Only thing fixed currently is the period with flights booked. The accommodations have also been booked but can be changed if necessary.

Few things to note:

1) I was in Geneva on 10 & 11 June en route to Chamonix this year , so I will proceed straight along the shores of Lac Leman.

2) You will notice Jungfrau is not on my list. That’s because I have been up Jungfrau a long time ago. (almost 15 years ago when i was 11, in Dec winter time) and also I’ve been to Interlaken, Luzern and Mt Titlis.

3) I will have the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass so will fully utilise it. (Trains, cable cars , lake cruise, postbus)

Many thanks in advance.

Ben

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 1:54:34 #867221

Hi Ben,

Could you post this as plain text in a forum post, or as a PDF? Many people (including me) won’t open Excel files from an “untrusted” source 🙂

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 9:04:09 #867222

I opened the attachment, @Alpenrose666. It is certainly an action-packed itinerary. Although you can adjust your daily schedule to accommodate as little or as much as there is time for them, these things stick out for me:

Day 2: Chillon castle / Cable car / Lavaux vineyard terraces

(a) Allow a couple of hours for Chillon castle, then additional time to get to between Montreux and Chillon. Villeneuve above Chillon is also very pretty so you might consider spending time there.

(b) Cable car — do you mean the cog railway to Rochers-de-Naye? Or the Mont Pélerin funicular above Vevey? With either, you will fill the remainder of your day.

(c) Lavaux vineyards — these are everywhere, and you will see plenty from the train en route to Montreux. There is a 35 km hiking route between Chillon or Montreux and Lausanne, but you won’t have time for this.

Day 16: Travel from Locarno with a whole lot of activities before departing from Malpensa

I think you are seriously over-reaching here. Just make sure that you are in a position to get on a train at Bellinzona no later than 4:00pm, if not earlier, to make your flight.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 10:41:13 #867223

Hello Emmeff,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, i have read about Villeneuve. But wasn’t too sure if it was worth the trip there (time wise) as i have the STP. I have almost 2 full days in Montreux. My main aim is to cover Lausanne & Vevey and Chillon Castle. Lavaux vineyards as you mentioned i will get a glimpse of on the train towards Montreux. On my first day arrival, i should be able to cover Lausanne and Vevey on my way to Montruex. Not sure if there is much to see at Lausanne. I know there’s a huge Fork by the lake in Vevey outside a musuem.

I am not too sure which cable car would be the best to take and also considering i have the STP which is free ? there are a number of options so would be glad if you could provide more information.

For the final day, I will be taking the 5.40 pm express bus from Bellinzona to Malpensa arriving at 7.45 pm. 2 hours before my flight departure time of 9.45 pm So i think i have sufficient time to explore Bellinzona. I am thinking of perhaps instead of staying 2 nights at Locarno, will move the 2nd night to Bellinzona youth hostel instead which is situated right below the Castle Grande.

malpensa-express.com/en/schedul es.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 10:44:20 #867224

Hi Alpenrose,

Thank you for letting me know about the excel file. I will be happy to oblige but be forewarned it will be a very long post. I will post it as a new post and I look forward to your reply and insights.

Cheers !

Ben

• The thread ‘Geneva – Ticino 16 days Sept itinerary feedback’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.