Geneva via Montreux ziesimmin Interlaken to Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2015 at 8:12:44 #807255

need help please

Arrive at Geneva airport @10.15am July with husband & 14 yr old son

What Time/itinerary would you suggest to depart after customs luggage? To then catch 1st class (front carriage with driver) via Montreux (golden route) to Murren (rail Europe constantly brings up going via Bern….)

it says I can book 90 days out (golden) but other trains to link only allows me 30 days?

we are staying 4 nights in Murren for my 50th & hope to do jungfrau & schilthorn lauterbrunnen then head to Colmar France.

myswissalps recommended Swiss transfer combi (expensive) & wondered Swiss half fare pass more economical if my son can still travel free & we get 50% off all the above routes but obviously not the France leg?

with the online process I guess we order pass first then book our main tickets especially golden route? Will the booking system show our son travelling free & discounts?

cheers Lucy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 May 2015 at 14:42:56 #843187

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for your post. The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi works out slightly cheaper than the Swiss Half Fare Card. But the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi requires you to travel from Geneva to Mürren via Bern instead of the Golden Pass line. So, in your case the Swiss Half Fare Card is fine. Sorry for not being clear earlier! You can purchase the Swiss Half Fare Cards through raileurope-world.com/ pass/swiss-half-fare-c ard or raileurope.com/ activities/swiss-half-fare-c ard/index.html. You can order along a free Swiss Family Card for your son.

The VIP seats in the front of the train are only available between Montreux and Zweisimmen. You can reserve the seats through tickets.goldenpass.ch. You should book seats for all travelers, children too. Select the front carriage and the front-most seats; these are the VIP seats. You only book seats on this website, not tickets.

There’s nothing else to book in advance for the traveling within Switzerland. The discounted tickets can be purchased at the rail station of Geneva airport. Show them your Swiss Half Fare Cards, and explain your route and whether you prefer to travel 1st or 2nd class. In any case the section from Montreux to Zweisimmen should be 1st class, as the VIP seats are 1st class. The rest of the trip can be 1st or 2nd.

Your itinerary could be like this:

• Geneva airport dep. 1:54 PM
    • Montreux arr. 3:04 PM
    • Montreux dep. 3:44 PM
    • Zweisimmen arr. 5:32 PM
    • Zweisimmen dep. 5:38 PM
    • Interlaken Ost arr. 6:18 PM
    • Interlaken Ost dep. 7:05 PM
    • Lauterbrunnen arr. 7:25 PM
    • Lauterbrunnen dep. 7:31 PM
    • Mürren arr. 7:51 PM

Please verify this in the timetable for your exact travel date.

The trip to Colmar is free to Basel. Most trains to Colmar don’t require a reservation, so you can buy your tickets in Switzerland (50% discounted to Basel, not discounted beyond Basel). If you do prefer to purchase the Basel to Colmar tickets in advance, you can order them along with your Swiss Half Fare Cards through raileurope-world.com/train/tgv-lyria or raileurope.com/ european-trains/tgv-lyria/how-to-book.html.

Enjoy your stay and have a wonderful birthday!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2015 at 2:40:04 #843188

Thank you very much Arno, very helpful.

I have been attempting to buy the Swiss 1/2 fare online through both websites you gave me but for some reason at the time of payment it wont let me proceed further from checkout?

Also As we are in Australia is is better for me to go through the later website you provided although the other Euro Rail Europe cheaper…just was concerned with courier time, we depart in a months time. Wondering your advice in this regard?

Cheers,

Lucy

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 May 2015 at 8:55:12 #843189

Hi Lucy,

From Australia you can order the Swiss Half Fare Cards, plus the Swiss Family Card for your son, through raileurope.com.au/ pass/swiss-half-fare-card-7423 or raileurope-world.com/ pass/swiss-half-fare-c ard. All the options are listed on the Swiss Half Fare Card page. Sorry, the raileurope.com site is for the US and Central America only; I somehow assumed you were based there.

• The thread ‘Geneva via Montreux ziesimmin Interlaken to Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.