Getting best use of Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2016 at 6:52:16 #809592

Dear Arno and Annika,

So happy I found this forum!

I would greatly appreciate some help:

My15-year-old son and I are arriving at Zurich airport at 16:10 on 04/08/2016. We need to leave airport asap to get to Murren in time for hotel checkin. Pretty sure I figured out how to do that by research and reading your forum and SBB timetables.

So here is my dilemma–I am considering purchasing a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass. If I bought it online and had it with me when landing in Zurich, would that pass ensure free train trip from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen–then in Lauterbrunnen would I need to buy Lauterbrunnen BLM tix to get to Murren via Grutscalp (sp?) cable car and Murren BLM train? When I attempted to see pricing online for Zurich to Murren, they showed reductions available for Half-Fare but no Swiss Travel Pass reduction? Is this because if I bought the Swiss Travel Pass, my son and I could just jump on board train in Zurich airport without reservation or seat assignment and we would be free–and so the SBB booking system is unnecessary for us and good just to check for timetables?

As we will be in Murren/Schilthorn/Lauterbrunnen area a few days, I am also wondering if it is worth it to add Schilthorn Holiday Pass for me (don’t think my son needs one as not only is he 15, but we were in Lauterbrunnen less than a year okay and he has Junior Karte as well) as it would allow multiple roundtrip stops on cable cars and even with Swiss Travel Discount it looks like it will get pricey fast.

Also , with the Swiss Travel Pass, we could then catch train out on 06/08/2016 to Luzerne for one night and next morning (07/08/2016) train from Luzerne to Zurich–I think the last one I will just need to pay for out of pocket–or would we still be covered by 4 day pass as we won’t activate it until 16:40 on 03/08/2016?

Thanks for reading this long note! I appreciate any and all help you can give very much!

We are so happy and so excited to return to beautiful Switzerland–I never thought we would be able to return and actually make it up to Schilthorn but this time we will–and hopefully a lot more savvy about Swiss Travel Passes etc.!

Lisa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 July 2016 at 8:52:51 #853719

Hi Lisa, thanks for joining us!

Here’s how the Swiss Travel Pass works in your case:

• if you buy a 4 day print at home pass valid from August 4, you can immediately board the train from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen;
    • the connection to Mürren is for free as well. Please download the validity map for such details. Discount options displayed by the SBB are irrelevant in this case. They don’t list the Swiss Travel Pass (a tourist product) for any route. The “Halbtax” fare you encountered is for a very common residents’ rail pass. Indeed there’s no need for seat reservations;
    • if your son is still 15 during your travels, you can order along the free Swiss Family Card. There’s no need to get him a CHF 30,- Junior Travelcard too;
    • in most cases adding a 2nd rail pass isn’t economical. Mind that the coverage area of the Schilthorn Holiday Pass is very limited. Whether or not it’s worth your money can only be found out by making detailed calculations as explained here;
    • the Swiss Travel Pass validity is measured in dates, not 24 hour periods. It’s explained here. So you’ll have to get regular tickets for either August 8.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2016 at 16:43:51 #853720

Just wanted to say “Thank you so Much!!” for your fast and helpful reply!

• The thread ‘Getting best use of Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.