Getting to Paris from Montreux via Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2017 at 13:32:41 #813887

We are traveling through Switzerland after a week in Germany on a work related trip ( from Australia) We are a family of 4 with 2 teenage children. We have purchased an 8 day Eurail pass and will arrive in Lucerne from Munich. Plan to stay overnight in Lucerne (or is Interlaken better?) then join the Golden Pass scenic train to Montreux. We then plan to catch train to Paris. Should we stay in Montreux or head straight to Geneva (would like to see Lake Geneva) to get to Paris. Should we stay overnight in Montreux?) Would prefer not to arrive in Paris at night. Do we need to make a reservation for the Golden Pass train as we only have a few days to spend in Switzerland on our way to France? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Departing Munich 24th April.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2017 at 16:36:01 #873292

Hi Ynotjac and welcome to MySwissAlps!

• I would stay in Lucerne over Interlaken.
    • Staying in Montreux depends on your schedule…it is a nice town if you have the time. For things to do there click here.
    • You will need to go to Geneva to catch the train to Paris whenever you decide to go. Use the timetable here to plan your trip.
    • You can probably get away without a reservation on the Golden Pass route in late April / early May. To be safe though, you could reserve the section between Zweisimmen and Montreux (with the panoramic trains).

Hope that helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2017 at 8:41:33 #873293

>> Plan to stay overnight in Lucerne … then join the Golden Pass scenic train to Montreux … Do we need to make a reservation for the Golden Pass train

Due to construction work between 19 Mar and 1 Jun 2018, there will be substitute buses for the stretch between Château-d’Oex and Montbovon, and individual travellers unfortunately cannot make any reservations between Zweisimmen and Montreux, which is the sector on which reservations are usually recommended.

I’m pretty sure there will be sufficient buses on the replacement bus sector, so that shouldn’t be a problem. During the construction period, groups can only travel between Zweisimmen and Château-d’Oex. So in the absence of tour groups, and given the time of year, I imagine the train from Montbovon to Montreux won’t be too crowded.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2017 at 10:20:24 #873294

Thanks for the note about construction & reservation issues on the Golden Pass route Alpenrose!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2017 at 11:02:15 #873295

Thank you for the info. Is the construction on a large section of the track and will it detract from the scenic aspect? I read that the Zweisimmen to Montreaux part was the best part? Sorry but trying to follow on an iPhone so the maps are hard to read.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2017 at 11:36:53 #873296

>> Is the construction on a large section of the track and will it detract from the scenic aspect?

Well, I’ve yet to see a scenic construction site 😉

However, the sector Zweisimmen-Montreux is around 75 km. Construction is being undertaken between Château-d’Oex and Montbovon, which is a stretch of around 10 km.

The bus will still have to call at the intermediate stations between Château-d’Oex and Montbovon (of which there are 3), so it won’t be straying too far from the railway line I imagine.

In any case, if the construction site is visible from the bus, it will only be on one side, and for a few minutes – look the other way 😉

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2017 at 7:10:10 #873297

Thank you Alpenrose,

I’m sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn’t referring to the view of the construction, but whether we would miss anything special (ie view) that would normally be seen on that section of track.

If its only 10 km stretch then i don’t expect we will miss much.

Due to our short time frame and destination being Paris, thought the Golden pass a good option to get a taste of Switzerland’s beautiful scenery, on our way through (would have loved to have done the glacier express too)

Monreaux looks really lovely too.

can you suggest best route from there to Paris (via train)?

thanks,

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 December 2017 at 7:50:11 #873298

Hi ynotjac-

<<“can you suggest best route from there to Paris (via train)?”>>

Use the timetable linked by Lucas.

The instruction page explains how to see the fastest route – the default – or force other “via” points.

I’d post a map, but you say that you cannot read one. That is the best way to visualize routes.

You might see if there is anything through Basel or maybe Bern, but Montreux to Geneva is the obvious route. Nice views of the lake and the vineyards, too.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2017 at 12:52:43 #873299

Hello, regarding construction mentioned above, are you saying the train will not be running during this construction and that buses will be used? We will be traveling the Area April 30 and had planned to take Golden Pass from Lucerne to Montreux.Thanks for any additional information.

Tami

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2017 at 13:24:42 #873300

Hi Tami,

Yes, as Alpenrose noted there is a short section of 10km where you will need to take a bus during the trip.
    It shouldn’t really affect the overall trip though!

• The thread ‘Getting to Paris from Montreux via Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.