Glacier Express reservations – guaranteed seats?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 20:47:59 #814772

I “purchased” my Glacier Express 1st class reservations 2 months ago but will not receive them until early April. Why the delay ? I understand that my reservation is not a 100% sure thing. Are they waiting to see what demand is from tour groups who get priority over individuals ? Should I purchase a second reservation in case my selected time is overbooked ?

Are seats assigned when the voucher is issued or do I select them later?

Is dining included in a 1st class reservation or must it be reserved and paid for separately ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 March 2018 at 21:14:55 #878835

Hello bogbozo,

Where did you buy the reservation?

A reservation is a reservation so there should certainly be no need to get another.

You should have had the opportunity to select a seat as part of the reservation process. I did when booking through shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en.

Food is not included in a reservation (but I don’t know what this voucher is that you mention). You can order as part of the reservation process or on-board. Not essential to pre-book food though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 22:12:23 #878836

I bought my reservation through Happy Rail. When I asked them to explain why I had to wait until 3 months before departure to receive my e-mail confirmation, they replied as follows:

” The sale for the Glacier Express opens 3 months before departure for everybody in the world. Nobody can book a seat until the sale opens.

Until that time I can’t guarantee for a 100% that you’ll have a seat, only for 99%. As soon as the booking opens we book your seat directly!”

Perhaps I should not have used the term “voucher’. I think I am going to receive a “confirmation” of my reservation via e-mail.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 March 2018 at 22:19:48 #878837

You’ll be OK but don’t get to pick a particular seat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 22:21:04 #878838

I checked my reservation order and I specified my route (Zermatt to St. Moritz ) and time. Seat selection was not offered to me during ordering and payment process.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 March 2018 at 22:23:17 #878839

Yes, that’s a “feature” of Happy Rails. No seat selection, just pot luck.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 March 2018 at 7:37:35 #878840

The 3 month window is indeed common for most trains in Europe. Sometimes 4 months. So if ordered earlier the retailer will reserve the seats as soon as they can. I’ve not heard about issues with that so far. As for the Glacier Express: as far as I know they always book window seats unless they’re already booked out (unlikely here) or if you specifically asked for different seats (either in a comments box or actual seat selection).

Enjoy the ride!

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    16 March 2018 at 0:20:04 #878841

Adding my 2 cents to this convo. People on this travel forum suggested that travellers book their train tickets directly through the Swiss SBB site (url given with english as an option). I followed this advice and found it very useful to not only book but also select seats etc (eg the golden panaroma).

For Glacier express, I sent an email to the booking guys directly and they replied. Since my trip is a bit far away I will have to wait before I reserve my seats directly through them which enable me to select seats.

I intend to buy a Swiss Travel Pass. So I only need to pay for the extra reservation fee and find a seat. On that day I can use my STP. This is my understanding.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 1:51:42 #878842

>> (eg the golden panaroma).

Reservations for panoramic trains on the Golden Pass route are best booked on their own booking site, where you can select your seats:

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:35990969398560 82::NO:::

However, reservations are not available on the Zweisimmen-Montreux sector between 19 Mar-1 Jun 2018 due to construction works on a small part of the line. This will require passengers to transfer to buses between Château-d’Oex and Montbovon to get around the construction site. Because of this, reservations have been temporarily suspended.

>> For Glacier express, I sent an email to the booking guys directly and they replied. Since my trip is a bit far away I will have to wait before I reserve my seats directly through them which enable me to select seats.

The easiest way to reserve Glacier Express seats, and to select your seats, is on their own booking site, which is at:

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

Reservations can be made up to 3 months before the intended travel date.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Glacier Express reservations – guaranteed seats?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.