Glacier Express food and ticket question

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Amybeth405
Amybeth405
8 posts
May 3, 2017 - 9:12 PM

Hello,

I already purchased my seat reservations for the first class seats on the Glacier Express train. I am going to buy a Switzerland train pass. My questions are....

Will I need to buy a first class Switzerland train pass or if I buy a second class pass for the rest of my trip (i'm going to be in Switzerland for a week) can I upgrade to first class just for the glacier express that day? if so how?

And do I need to let the glacier express train know I have a pass or is that assumed since I only purchased the reserved seats?

I also have questions about eating a meal on the glacier express. Is there a way to decide and purchase the meal same day? Is there other food to buy on the glacier express other than the meal? How can I buy the meal if I decide to, since I didn't buy the meal the day I got the seat reservations? Can you really bring food and wine / beverages on the train yourself?

Thanks, Amy

rockoyster
rockoyster
4604 posts
expert
May 4, 2017 - 1:37 AM

Hi AmyBeth,

You don't need a 1st Class Swiss Travel Pass. I am doing exact same thing. Travelling on Glacier Express with 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass. You can buy a 1st Class upgrade for any specific journey at the SBB ticket office at any manned Swiss Railway Station. I have an email from SBB saying that I can buy the upgrade using the SBB Mobile app and using the half-fare rate but I might stick to buying at a station for such a major trip.

You don't need to let Glacier Express know you have a pass. Just make sure you have both your reservation, your STP and the 1st Class upgrade ticket with you when you board.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your food questions.

hockeyfan
hockeyfan
27 posts
May 4, 2017 - 2:03 AM

Yes, you can order from a menu on the train prior to lunch being served, if you have not pre-ordered. You can also bring food and drinks onto the train. Two years ago our hotel packed us a wonderful picnic lunch to take with us. We then bought a bottle of very good, reasonably priced wine once on the train Have a great trip.

rockoyster
rockoyster
4604 posts
expert
May 4, 2017 - 3:48 AM in reply to hockeyfan

Good info hockeyfan - thanks.

Annika
Annika
5005 posts
expert &
May 4, 2017 - 9:38 AM

Hi Amy,

Assuming it's the Swiss Travel Pass you want to buy: please find purchase options at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 4, 2017 - 11:57 PM

To all that baught a STP, you can upgrade to 1st class on the G.E. for 1/2 the difference of t he price from 2nd to 1st. Look at the SBB site and see the discounts you get with the different STP's.

Last modified on May 5, 2017 - 5:47 PM by Arno
Amybeth405
Amybeth405
8 posts
May 6, 2017 - 3:48 PM

thanks everyone. this information helped me alot! can't wait for my vacation!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019