Glacier Express food and ticket question

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Amybeth405
Amybeth405
8 posts
May 3, 2017 - 9:12 PM

Hello,

I already purchased my seat reservations for the first class seats on the Glacier Express train. I am going to buy a Switzerland train pass. My questions are....

Will I need to buy a first class Switzerland train pass or if I buy a second class pass for the rest of my trip (i'm going to be in Switzerland for a week) can I upgrade to first class just for the glacier express that day? if so how?

And do I need to let the glacier express train know I have a pass or is that assumed since I only purchased the reserved seats?

I also have questions about eating a meal on the glacier express. Is there a way to decide and purchase the meal same day? Is there other food to buy on the glacier express other than the meal? How can I buy the meal if I decide to, since I didn't buy the meal the day I got the seat reservations? Can you really bring food and wine / beverages on the train yourself?

Thanks, Amy

rockoyster
rockoyster
4027 posts
expert
May 4, 2017 - 1:37 AM

Hi AmyBeth,

You don't need a 1st Class Swiss Travel Pass. I am doing exact same thing. Travelling on Glacier Express with 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass. You can buy a 1st Class upgrade for any specific journey at the SBB ticket office at any manned Swiss Railway Station. I have an email from SBB saying that I can buy the upgrade using the SBB Mobile app and using the half-fare rate but I might stick to buying at a station for such a major trip.

You don't need to let Glacier Express know you have a pass. Just make sure you have both your reservation, your STP and the 1st Class upgrade ticket with you when you board.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your food questions.

hockeyfan
hockeyfan
21 posts
May 4, 2017 - 2:03 AM

Yes, you can order from a menu on the train prior to lunch being served, if you have not pre-ordered. You can also bring food and drinks onto the train. Two years ago our hotel packed us a wonderful picnic lunch to take with us. We then bought a bottle of very good, reasonably priced wine once on the train Have a great trip.

rockoyster
rockoyster
4027 posts
expert
May 4, 2017 - 3:48 AM in reply to hockeyfan

Good info hockeyfan - thanks.

Annika
Annika
4993 posts
expert &
May 4, 2017 - 9:38 AM

Hi Amy,

Assuming it's the Swiss Travel Pass you want to buy: please find purchase options at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 4, 2017 - 11:57 PM

To all that baught a STP, you can upgrade to 1st class on the G.E. for 1/2 the difference of t he price from 2nd to 1st. Look at the SBB site and see the discounts you get with the different STP's.

Last modified on May 5, 2017 - 5:47 PM by Arno
Amybeth405
Amybeth405
8 posts
May 6, 2017 - 3:48 PM

thanks everyone. this information helped me alot! can't wait for my vacation!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018