Glacier Express food and ticket question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 21:12:37 #811669

Hello,

I already purchased my seat reservations for the first class seats on the Glacier Express train. I am going to buy a Switzerland train pass. My questions are….

Will I need to buy a first class Switzerland train pass or if I buy a second class pass for the rest of my trip (i’m going to be in Switzerland for a week) can I upgrade to first class just for the glacier express that day? if so how?

And do I need to let the glacier express train know I have a pass or is that assumed since I only purchased the reserved seats?

I also have questions about eating a meal on the glacier express. Is there a way to decide and purchase the meal same day? Is there other food to buy on the glacier express other than the meal? How can I buy the meal if I decide to, since I didn’t buy the meal the day I got the seat reservations? Can you really bring food and wine / beverages on the train yourself?

Thanks, Amy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 May 2017 at 1:37:49 #862752

Hi AmyBeth,

You don’t need a 1st Class Swiss Travel Pass. I am doing exact same thing. Travelling on Glacier Express with 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass. You can buy a 1st Class upgrade for any specific journey at the SBB ticket office at any manned Swiss Railway Station. I have an email from SBB saying that I can buy the upgrade using the SBB Mobile app and using the half-fare rate but I might stick to buying at a station for such a major trip.

You don’t need to let Glacier Express know you have a pass. Just make sure you have both your reservation, your STP and the 1st Class upgrade ticket with you when you board.

Sorry, I don’t know the answer to your food questions.

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    4 May 2017 at 2:03:11 #862753

Yes, you can order from a menu on the train prior to lunch being served, if you have not pre-ordered. You can also bring food and drinks onto the train. Two years ago our hotel packed us a wonderful picnic lunch to take with us. We then bought a bottle of very good, reasonably priced wine once on the train Have a great trip.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 May 2017 at 3:48:31 #862754

Good info hockeyfan – thanks.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 May 2017 at 9:38:40 #862755

Hi Amy,

Assuming it’s the Swiss Travel Pass you want to buy: please find purchase options at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 23:57:34 #862756

To all that baught a STP, you can upgrade to 1st class on the G.E. for 1/2 the difference of t he price from 2nd to 1st. Look at the SBB site and see the discounts you get with the different STP’s.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 15:48:31 #862757

thanks everyone. this information helped me alot! can’t wait for my vacation!

• The thread ‘Glacier Express food and ticket question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.