Enough room for luggage on Glacier Express?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2019 at 3:23:39 #822930

We have a booking for the Glacier Express in August for 4 adults. We will be staying in Samedan and catching GE from there to Zermatt. We are travelling 2nd class as 1st was fully booked on the day of our travel. My query is- as most people will get on in St Moritz and the train appears to be fully booked, will we have difficulty finding room for our luggage when we get on in Samedan? Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Luke
    Participant
    105 posts
    19 July 2019 at 7:15:41 #918166

Hi Lyjo,

I’ve never had much issues finding room for my luggage on Swiss trains even when full. You may find limited space on the luggage racks if the train is indeed almost full when you board but you can keep the bags with you (behind you, above you or under seat) more often than not.

Of course it depends on how much luggage you have and how big the pieces are!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 July 2019 at 7:20:59 #918167

Hi Lyjo,

My wife and I boarded a full-ish Glacier Express at Brig, rather than Zermatt, headed to Chur. There was already plenty of luggage but I just loaded our cases on top of the pile.

I’m sure they won’t leave you behind; the staff on the GEX are very efficient and keen to provide good service. They will help you out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2019 at 11:57:54 #918168

Thanks Luke and Rockoyster.

Annika
    7124 posts
    19 July 2019 at 14:05:35 #918169

Hi Lyjo!

In addition to Luke’s and Rockoyster’s answers, this page might be helpful: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2019 at 23:47:57 #918170

Thanks Annika,

• The thread ‘Enough room for luggage on Glacier Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.