Glacier Express or regional SBB trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2016 at 10:57:36 #808956

Hi all,

I am planning to travel from Zermatt in may to Chur. As suggested by some it is better to travel by OPEN Sbb train than closed Glacier express in the same route. Open trains are better and camera friendly? The speed is same for both?

Regards,

Dr Nisarga

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 April 2016 at 18:19:40 #850971

Hi Dr Nisarga,

Actually there are no SBB trains on the Glacier Express route. The Glacier Express and the local trains on the same route are being operated by the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn and Rhätische Bahn. But, the names of the companies don’t really matter. The local trains could be slightly better for photography if you happen to travel on a train with opening windows (no such thing in the Glacier Express). There’s no difference in maximum speed, but there is in traveling time because local trains make more stops and require you to change trains along the way. I am not aware of any open-air trains on that route. The only ones I know are a few trains in summer on the Bernina Express route.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express or regional SBB trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.