Glacier Express seat reservation with STP

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2019 at 20:13:07 #822598

My husband and I will be catching the Glazier express on the 7th Sept from Zermatt to St Moritz. We are purchasing the Swiss Travel Pass but have to wait for our passports to arrive as we have to enter our passport number but wondering can I book our seat reservation now as Im worried we will miss out. Also we are purchasing the 2nd class pass but want to upgrade to first class for the Glazier Express and Bernina express. Which is the best site to book reservations. Do we need to book seat reservations with who we purchase pass through? Could you guide me the best purchase option for the pass. I have been looking at this for some time and have thought of purchasing the Swiss travel pass through Rail Europe but have seen through some of the previous threads there is a special on now with the Jaungfraujoch plus free coupon pass. Could you please do a price break down for me of the inclusions as the pass is quite more expensive through the SBB?

Looking forward cohering your thoughts

Kris. Australia QLD

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 July 2019 at 21:45:47 #916686

Hello Kris,

The best place to reserve seats on the Glacier Express is shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en/specials/daytr ips/glacier-express. During the purchase process nominate you have a Swiss Travel Pass (you don’t actually need the pass to make reservations just so long as you have it when you travel).
    http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

The best place to buy the Swiss Travel Pass is the Swiss Travel Centre among other options. All are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price but I’ve found the STC to be very efficient.

I don’t rate the Jungfraujoch promotion because it locks you into picking a specific date to visit a location which can be weather dependent. If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on any particular trip you can buy a Class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App or here bit.ly/2rZEIXh. You need to buy a route specific upgrade.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/2nd1stcl ass

If you buy on line you need to nominate a Half-fare Card reduction to get the correct price (using either website of SBB app). An upgrade will cost half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 8:58:29 #916687

Thanks so much Rockkoyster. Your information was very helpful. I went on the website you shared for the seat reservation and it is saying choose another day.Does this mean we have missed this train or is there any other sites that i can book seat reservations. My husband and i have specially booked 1 night in Zermatt to catch the Glacier Express to St Moritz and we booked to stay in St Moritz so we could catch the Bernina express to Tirano. I hope we haven’t left it to late 🙁

Is there much difference between excellence and 2nd class?

Thanks

Kristine

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 July 2019 at 10:43:07 #916688

Hi Kris,

There are no 1st Class seats and 16 2nd Class seats available that day. The difference between Excellence Class and 1st or 2nd Class is almost CHF380 in the reservation fee! Between 1st and 2nd not so much.

You can always do the exact same route on regular trains (no reservations required) and see the same scenery. You just have to put up with some train changes along the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 20:15:24 #916689

Thanks again Rockyoyster. I went into panic mode. That is a big difference in pricing I managed to book seats for the day we required. Again thanks so much for your time. I have this forum to be absolutely amazing. The support given is really good, especially for first time travellers. Can’t wait to visit Switzerland 🙂

Kristine

Australia

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 July 2019 at 3:08:47 #916690

No worries Kristine. Glad to hear you are sorted. Enjoy.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express seat reservation with STP’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.