Go to Zurich or Lauterbrunnen area with children?

• Bicky
    Participant
    9 posts
    19 September 2022 at 17:02:42 #828378

Hi all,

My family live in Norfolk and have never seen the mountains. We have therefore we have booked 15 days from the 27th July for a rail trip around the mountains.

We have booked a flight from UK to Milan on the 27th and plan and overnight stay in Milan city centre first. We then plan to go to Lugano for one night for an Italian Lakes experience.

On the 3oth to the 3rd of August we on plan on hitting the Alps, but let me go through my dilemma at the end.

We plan to go to Alpamare water park near Zurich on the 3rd and stay over for 1 or 2 days. Next step is the Rheinfalls / Stein am Rhein / Schaffhausen for maybe 2 days.

The final step on 7th of August is to travel to Triberg then onto Strasbourg then back to UK.

My main dilemma was that we planned to go to the Alps and stay over in Brig/Bettermelp area for a few days then travel on Glacier Express to Chur then to the Alpamare but since joining this webforum my mind is turning to go to Lauterbrunnen area. Especially since my children are 8 and 11 and from reading this area might be better for them?

I know it will ultimately be my choice but any advise is greatly received, especially in which area is recommended.

Regards Jim/Rachel, Tommy and Ella

• Anna
    6424 posts
    19 September 2022 at 18:44:00 #947073

Hi Jim/Rachel,

Your original plan is good. But I agree, adding Lauterbrunnen into the mix might make it better for the kids. Lauterbrunnen is a great base to explore the Jungfrau region. This region offers plenty of adventurous activities for children such as trotti-biking on Grindelwald First, toboggan run on Pfingstegg and big mountain playgrounds on Mannlichen and Allmenhubel in Mürren. You can also combine boat trips on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun with excursions to the surrounding mountains. If you wish to include the Jungfrau region in your itinerary, I suggest spending a few days in Lauterbrunnen after your stay in Brig. So instead of taking the Glacier Express, take the train to Lauterbrunnen and from Lauterbrunnen to Zurich and onwards.

Hope this gives you some options for your trip.

regards,

Anna

Bicky
    Participant
    9 posts
    20 September 2022 at 11:00:44 #947074

Thankyou anna. I get working on your suggestions now

Maruza89
    Participant
    3 posts
    20 September 2022 at 11:53:19 #947075

I would advise Lauterbrunnen! It’s an idyllic village. If you do, don’t miss Trümmelbach falls! You can get there by walking 45 minutes through beautiful Lauterbrunnen. There is also a bus, but the walk is amazing in itself. Zürich is enchanting but I think the family might want to be in nature in a town that’s just surrounded by the towering Alps and you’ll feel like you are inside a storybook. It’s so beautiful and it was one of the highlights of my recent trip. I did visit Zürich too. If I could go again, I’d see lauterbrunnen again and again.

Bicky
    Participant
    9 posts
    20 September 2022 at 15:44:11 #947076

Hi,

thanks for your suggestion. we just really want to go to Alpamare water park so maybe might go on day trip and go to stein au rein and stay there a few days?

Anna
    6424 posts
    20 September 2022 at 18:46:23 #947077

Hi Jim/Rachel,

Yes, you can definitely plan trip to Alpamare from Zurich. A trip to Stein am Rhein and Rheinfalls can also be combined in one day.

regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Go to Zurich or Lauterbrunnen area with children?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11270 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.