Reserve Golden Pass train Montreux to Interlaken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2018 at 15:13:24 #819148

Hello Team,

I am taking 4 days Swiss Travel Pass. I want to travel from Geneva to Interlaken on Day 1. I am travelling from Geneva to Montreux and from there I have plan to take Golden pass Train till Interlaken.

When I see Golden pas seat reservation information, there I can see some wagens with reservation and some without reservation for Golden pass train.

Is it mandatory to do seat reservation while travelling in Golden Pass train? cause if I want to reserve this train then I need to reserve two trains one is till Zweisimmen and then second till Interlaken.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 December 2018 at 15:20:50 #900199

Hi Avinash,

You don’t need reservations, please see our Golden Pass page at http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2018 at 15:51:10 #900200

Thanks for the updates

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2018 at 1:15:32 #900201

Trains run every hour on the MOB railway, see the timetable PDF here:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/120.pdf

The timetable PDF shows at a glance the connections from Genève, for example 08.30 from Genève gets you on to the 09.44 from Montreux.

Take any train – no need to reserve

Some personal comments about the line:

A few facts about the Montreux – Zweisimmen railway – ie the MOB (Montreux-Oberland Bernois):

The Golden Pass is historically only Montreux – Zweisimmen, only more recent marketing branding takes the ‘Goldenpass route’ east of Zweisimmen to Interlaken and beyond to Luzern.

The Golden Pass is the touristic branding for the Montreux – Oberland Bernois (MOB) railway which runs from Montreux to Zweisimmen, but after a few years of favouring ‘Goldenpass services’, the company decided it was losing its tradition and has reverted to putting the Chemin de Fer Montreux – Oberland Bernois name on publicity and train coaches.

MOB pioneered the Panoramic coach concept on Swiss trains, starting in 1976.

There are now several versions of panoramic coaches in service, but MOB keeps changing its mind how to dub each service.

It hardly matters anyway as most modern Swiss trains have large windows, even if not officially panoramic. The key element of a ‘panoramic’ coach is ‘toplight’ windows above your head but in practice very few of the major views from panoramic trains are directly above your head, so the view through the normal side part of windows is normally fine.

If you do do the MOB railway you can catch any train, there is no need to book.

1960 man / Swiss railway consultant

• The thread ‘Reserve Golden Pass train Montreux to Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.