GoldenPass from Montreux to Lucerne in July

• Hdoth1010
    Participant
    2 posts
    25 April 2023 at 1:31:02 #829684

Hi there! My husband and I will be visting Switzerland in July and plan to fly into Genova and plan to stay several nights in Lucerne. We are wanting to take the Golden Pass from Montreux to Lucerne. I know this route will mean taking three different trains to get to our final destination.

My question is, should we stop along the way at some of the train stops and sight see any? Or should we do the entire Golden Pass stretch to get to our final destination and wait to come back and explore Interlaken the following day or so? We will have our luggage (large backpack) so we will not be totally bag free upon our initial arrival. Thanks in advance for any advice! Excited to see this beautiful country!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    25 April 2023 at 7:05:32 #953765

Hi Hdoth1010,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Travelling on the GoldenPass train is great way to experience Switzerland’s mountains and villages. If you have a railpass such as the Swiss Travel Pass, you can get off and on at any GoldenPass stops as many times as you like for free. You can complete the GoldenPass route in one day or split the journey into multiple days.

Between Montreux and Zweisimmen, I recommend stopping at Gstaad and doing a side trip to Glacier 3000. You can store your luggage at the station and pick them up later.

Between Zweisimmen and Interlaken, Spiez would make a nice pit stop for sightseeing.

In Interlaken, you can travel onwards to Lucerne on the Luzern-Interlaken Express train. However I recommend spending at least a day or 2 in Interlaken so you’ll have time to explore the beautiful Jungfrau region. Perhaps plan boat trips on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun, visit the waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen and do hikes in Grindelwald or Wengen. More sightseeing options in Interlaken here: http://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/activities

You can find more information about the GoldenPass route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere

Regards,

Anna

Hdoth1010
    Participant
    2 posts
    25 April 2023 at 12:01:23 #953766

Thank you, Anna. This is really helpful, especially the bag storage! That will make traveling around much easier.

• The thread ‘GoldenPass from Montreux to Lucerne in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.